Old September 16th 03, 12:49 AM
Jim Hampton

Hmmm ... once the winds pick up to about 50 MPH, the cell phones will be a
jingling 911 to ask "is this the hurricane?".

By the time the winds are up to 60 MPH, a lot of cell phone users won't be
able to get through due to so many calls to 911 asking "is it going to get
worse?"

Once the winds have reached hurricane force, some towers will be down and
most calls won't get through. Many cell phone users will be trying to call
friends/relatives to let them know how they're doing. This is an
*excellent* time to call your girlfriend/boyfriend (for teenagers, of
course) to give them a minute by minute description of the junk flying past
your picture window. Don't laugh; when I was on Guam and a typhoon hit, one
idiot went out with a new motion picture camera (this was before video tape)
to take pictures of debris flying through the air! (yes, it's true)

Keep the batteries for the flashlights, unless, of course, you've got a
couple of HTs to use 'em in

Let the cell phone users tell me how reliable they are *after* the big blow
hits.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

"Dick Carroll" wrote in message
The weather channel just put this out as Number 1 on the list of
things
to do in preparation for the hurricane that's projected to make landfall

on the east coast next week. :-))

---