Old September 18th 03, 11:18 AM
N2EY

In article , "Clint"
rattlehead@computronDOTnet writes:

Not "sour" at all.

But 8 countries (so far) is hardly "world wide".

hm, I see.... um, and you know the one and only
acceptable definition of "world wide" huh?

Nope.

However, I find it hard to believe that anyone would reasonably call 9
countries (*so far*) would constitute "world wide" when there are many more
countries yet to make a change.

I guess
i've missed where it's written that "world wide"
is composed of no less than 9 countries.

I guess i've missed where it's written that "world wide"
is composed of no more than 9 countries - out of how many?

The fact is, it would only take two seperate nations
to call something "multinational" or "international".. so,
would it comfort you a little more if I were to have said
"internationally, code testing is being dropped"?

Better yet - just say "So far, it's been removed in 9 countries".

you'd also do well to make a case study of how many hams
are represented by the nations that are dropping it. Many
nations that aren't are composed of nations with fewer than
a dozen hams.... and a few that are run by dicators
(lybia) have 1 and only 1 ham operator.... guess who.....

Then tell us - how many hams are represented by the 8 nations that are removing
code testing? How many hams are there in Singapore, Switzerland, the UK,
Belgium, Germany, Austria, Netherlands, Norway, and Ireland...?

Here's the country to watch: Japan. They've had an HF license with no code test
for decades. (It's their 4th class license). And they used to have the world's
largest amateur population.

But about 1995 their numbers started dropping and they continue to fall. Why?

Some say it's the Japanese economy
Some say it's the Internet
Some say it's cheap cell phones
And some say it's the code test for the other licenses.

But Japan still has code testing. Maybe that will change.

(Note that Japan issues separate operator and station licenses. *Operator*
licenses are free and never expire, so the operator license totals never
decline. *Station* licenses have to be renewed and cost money (120 yen).
Station licenses are declining rapidly.