Old January 28th 04, 02:40 AM
Roger Halstead

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 14:23:10 -0600, "Steve Nosko"
wrote:

Looks like they just have "built-in" gin or or is jin pole capability.

That was my impression. Kind of a nifty feature, but I'm not so sure
about the rest. I don't really like the idea of using square tubing
and no diagonals.

Seems like you could do the same thing with a triangular section tower.

You can.

Looks neat, though. Pretty husky too...however...

I'd have to see the data on the tubing and the quality of the welding.

I wonder about the fact that there is no diagonal bracing. The horiz

I'd not be concerned about it as much in a guyed installation, but I'd
kinda like to see then in a free standing tower.

bracing is quite heavy looking, but it looks like one giant parallelogram to
me.

I'd also prefer to see a triangular tower cross section. As you say it
looks like a giant parallelogram in 3 dimensions. It may be plenty
strong, but "I'd think" the box cross section would be more
susceptible (less resistant) to torque than a triangular one.

What would 'ole Octave Chanute say?

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com