Old September 20th 03, 04:59 AM
Brian Kelly

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message . com...
"Brian Kelly" wrote in message
m...

. . . I think I lost some of my ability to get it down solid on paper at
speed and I'm working on that.

However I do not agree with a hypothesis that simply cramming for then
passing a 13 or even a 20wpm code test assures a lifetime ability to
copy Morse at any usable speed. I've seen too many examples of "cram &
pass" types who never actually used the stuff on the air to any extent
all but completely forget how to copy Morse. Apparently there is some
combination of both a speed and a number of hours of experience at
that speed which embeds Morse for life.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

w3rv

It appears to me that the reason 13wpm and higher works, according to the
reference, is that you CAN'T successfully cram to pass the higher speeds.
You've got to have those neural connections solidly in place. However for
10wpm and down you can cram and pass the tests.

I'm not particularly convinced that's the case but there isn't even
any soft evidence which indicates that is or is not the case.

Regardless, there is definitely a point at which a person won't forget even
if they believe they have done so (your experience being a case in point).

Agreed. In spades.

To me, this is the level that Extras should reach, i.e. a level that they
won't forget.

We agree 200% on THAT point!

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

w3rv