Old September 21st 03, 09:25 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article , "Kim W5TIT"
writes:

Not necessarilly. If one knows the ingredients of pizza, they do not have
to eat it to know whether they would like it or not.

Kim:

Just out of curiosity, what ARE the ingredients of a pizza?

I love pizza but hate tomatoes, cheese, and garlic. Yet
combine them into a pizza and the result is entirely different. No one

can
tell how a cake will taste simply from reading the ingredients on a box.

Unless, of course, that particular cake is made with tomatoes, cheese,
and garlic -- then you, by your own admission, would have a prejudiced
notion of it's taste. And, if the cake was made from scratch, one may
not have a box from which to read the list of ingredients. Then, the
only way to judge the cake's taste would be through direct, personal
experience. I'm sure more cakes are judged in this manner than by
any analysis of the ingredient list.

Depends.

Eouuuuuu!!! I wouldn't want to make a cake or a pizza out of them!

If it's a chocolate cake and we know that we can't *really* taste
the eggs (I can't stand eggs), then I'm pretty sure I'd like a chocolate
cake.

Have you ever tasted a cake (of any flavour) made *without* eggs?
I'm pretty sure you could tell the difference.

You can evaluate its nutritional content but not its taste. So while

there
are some things that do not need to be experienced to evaluate them, there
are other things that do.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

I think you're grabbing at straws, Dee.

No, Kim, actually she is quite correct. Personal experience *does* give
us a better ability to evaluate things and formulate judgments for or
against them. While non-participatory analysis of the parts of the whole
may lead us to draw some certain conclusions, those conclusions would
tend to then be colored by our prejudices for or against any one component,
such as eggs, cheese, or tomatoes. Only when the whole concept is
brought together into the sum of it's parts, and experienced by a truly
qualified and objective person who doesn't have an agenda to either be
for or against the result, can a fair and credible judgement be made.
This applies equally to cake, pizza, and Morse code testing within the
ARS. It is not "grasping at straws."

73 de Larry, K3LT