Old January 28th 04, 06:04 PM
larry

Default looking for help in building a transmission line.... and antenna...

Greetings

Well I find myself to be in a rather strange delema....

A brief history to help you help me...

I was licenced in 1964...I was 16. My ham station was put in my basement..
My first antenna, a random wire, was run along the basement ceiling, out a
basement window frame, up to the eavestrough and down the backyard to the
closeline pole...About 75 feet in length...

Later, about 1972, my first 2 meter fm station the coax, rg58 or 8, when
along the ceiling, through a hole in the concrete of the house, up a tower
and to a 5 element beam...

More recently my ham station has moved up to the main floor. My 2 meter
radio is now about 6 or 7 feet above ground. I stuck a 1/4 wave length of
wire in the so239 output connector ic275a, using a right angle adapter, and,
with the mike cable extended to form one leg of a signle leg ground plane,
managed to trip a local repeater....

Now here is my situation...I would like to build a full 1/4 wave groundplane
or something similar directly above the radio but, in order to have radials
that don't pook me in the face, I will need to raise the antenna up about 2
or 3 feet. I could use coax but for that short of a run?...

Is it possible to build a length of air dialectric coax ( I am wondering
what a perfect length of coax is made of between the center conductor and
braid and how long it would have to be ), 50 ohm that is about 2 to 3 feel
long?

Next question would be.. how to tune it...

I am guessing that it is about 5 feet from the radio to the ceiling...

Any thoughts?

Larry ve3fxq