Old September 21st 03, 05:12 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
.com...

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
I disagree that it is reasonable. First, there is no other pass/fail
mode test. If there were, then your assertion that it was reasonable
would not fail so badly.

If it were practical to set up and administer pass/fail tests on other
modes, I would certainly support doing so. It is unfortunate that it is
only practical to administer code testing and written testing.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

It actually could be done. Example; Pass a basic written test for say

the
General class.

This would give you basic privlidges of say SSB, FM, at 200 watts on HF.
Possible retaining the sub bands also.

Then have a ENDORSEMENT to be added for additional modes, i.e. SSTV,
Digital, even CW, etc.

This could be the pass or fail part of things. Given at a local ham club,
by those that already have the endorsement or are grandfathered into it by
past experience.

Just a thought.

Dan/W4NTI

I would insist on an operational test for SSB and FM too besides the
written. And I would insist that the operationals be conducted by a VE team
to an established standard not just a "well he is doing OK" sort of thing.

I don't really believe in the concepts of endorsements for various modes.
The candidate should be required to learn the basics in each of the modes
before getting a license. Or make SSB and FM contingent on passing the
other modes first. They should be the last privileges to be earned rather
than the first. Otherwise we will end up with way too many of the HF
equivalent of "repeater creatures."

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE