Old September 21st 03, 11:46 PM
Mike Coslo

Dee D. Flint wrote:
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
gy.com...

"Brian" wrote in message
e.com...

I disagree that it is reasonable. First, there is no other pass/fail
mode test. If there were, then your assertion that it was reasonable
would not fail so badly.

If it were practical to set up and administer pass/fail tests on other
modes, I would certainly support doing so. It is unfortunate that it is
only practical to administer code testing and written testing.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

It actually could be done. Example; Pass a basic written test for say

the

General class.

This would give you basic privlidges of say SSB, FM, at 200 watts on HF.
Possible retaining the sub bands also.

Then have a ENDORSEMENT to be added for additional modes, i.e. SSTV,
Digital, even CW, etc.

This could be the pass or fail part of things. Given at a local ham club,
by those that already have the endorsement or are grandfathered into it by
past experience.

Just a thought.

Dan/W4NTI

I would insist on an operational test for SSB and FM too besides the
written. And I would insist that the operationals be conducted by a VE team
to an established standard not just a "well he is doing OK" sort of thing.

You know Dee, there is some real wisdom in that. I think many people
would be served well by having an HF contact - possibly their first -
at the time of testing. It would get that first contact out of the way,
it would possibly calm the person down and be a little bit of fun, and
would really keep people thinking about good on the air procedures and
manners.

It would also be enjoyable to be on the other side of that QSO. I would
suspect that an Op that was a volunteer "first contact" would be a part
of the VE team.

What a nice/good idea!

- Mike KB3EIA -