Old September 22nd 03, 04:07 AM
Len Over 21

In article , "Dee D. Flint"
writes:

"Clint" rattlehead at computron dot net wrote in message

The same applies to students of all ages. When an adult goes to

college,

and wasn't it pointed out in an earlier post in this, or another, thread
that
electrical engineering students aren't required to learn morse code?

hmmmmmm.....

Clint
KB5ZHT

Your incorrect usage of snippage really hurts your comments. My point was
to show that adults are often required to meet standards set by people who
are experienced in their field of choice. This means taking courses in
college for example, that the student may never use. This is similar to
requiring hams to take and pass code tests.

Newsflash: The FCC was NEVER chartered as an educational
organization and the US amateur radio test is NOT an academic
achievement.

Electrical engineering is not ham radio.

Not quite the right wording. Make it: Ham radio is NOT anywhere close
to electrical engineering.

Although they don't study code,
all of them have to take subjects in which they have no interest and will
never use otherwise they don't get the degree.

Mommy DEErest, I was USING engineering knowledge at work well
before I got my electronic engineering degree. It made classes (most
at night) much easier.

I did run into one instructor of the "Prussian General Officer" type
who adamantly insisted, in a class on digital logic, that "there is NO
such thing as an Exclusive-Or gate." I brought in a quad Ex-Or made
by Texas Instruments and showed him. "We will NOT have that in
MY class!" he ordered.

This instructor of Asian ancestry was young and had NOT worked in
the electronics industry on any digital logic design. Yet, we in the
class were not able to use a simple low-level logic device that had
been made for over 15 years at that time. I have other examples
from my personal experience and that of others in just about every
discipline in undergraduate school which do not show a full
awareness of academia to that of industry.

Perhaps one out of two electronic engineering instructors at the
college/university level MIGHT have worked in the electronics industry
at one time. I wouldn't bank on that. One of the excellent ones, whom
I've never met, is Dan McCracken, past president of the ACM (I was a
member courtesy of IEEE membership).

I digress since: 1. You refuse to acknowledge my postings because
I have strong opposite views to yours; 2. You like to play some kind
of Mommie DEErest and think that all newcomers to amateur radio are
at the level of children.

Adults are required to do things they don't want to on a regular basis.

Yes, Mommie, but put aside the Mommie suit and THINK in reality.
Laws and regulations are NOT required to remain long after their
usefulness. That YOU personally like certain regulations is NO
imperative that they should be kept, certainly not to any government
agency making and enforcing those laws.

Try to remember that US amateur radio is NOT an academic exercise
nor is the FCC a college or university administering final exams.

Class dismissed.

LHA