Old September 23rd 03, 09:26 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
"Dick Carroll;" wrote in message

Brian wrote:

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message

thlink.net...

I'll tell you this Jim...the Ruskies had and probably still do have

the best
CW operators in the world.

I used to have to listen to them a lot in a job I had. Amazing how

so many
of them sounded like the hams on 20meters...hi.

Dan/W4NTI

And the ones that washed out of CW school? The Gulag?

Only you and a few like you washed out.

Poor DICK. I was never in a Russian dittybopper school.

Russian military, as our own,
don't.

Poor DICK. I was never in a US dittybopper school.

When one is sitting trying to learn code, realizing that if you "just
can't" then
it.s off to the infantry, the failure rate is unsurprisingly low to
nonexistant.

Poor DICK. I'm sure the failure rate was quite high. Why the big
rush to RTTY and other modes which don't require the operator to be a
human modem?

Because RTTY could be run in the 'secure', or 'green' mode. And RATT was
more capable of sending LARGE volumes of messages. Due mainly to the
untrained CW operators in the US Military at the time you are referencing.

Ten groups a minute is all that was required of a O5C MOS back then.

Dan/W4NTI

Perhaps Len could shed some light on this.