Old September 24th 03, 11:49 AM
Brian

(N2EY) wrote in message ...
In article , "Robert" writes:

"Clint" rattlehead@computronDOTnet wrote

[ transmitting a 6 mega-pixel image]

I never claimed you COULD send that with CW.

Well, actually, you _could_. I don't have all the tech stuff handy
to determine just how large a 6 mega-pixel 24-bit color image would actually
_be_, so let's just call it a 6 megabyte file, making it, what, 48 million
bits? Now, how many bits in a 'word' of Morse, average? A dozen, maybe? So,
sending at, let's say, 20 wpm gives us a hypothetical bit-rate of 240
bits/min or 4 bits/sec, so we come out with a mere 12 million seconds to
transmit the image (I _swear_ I did not intend for that answer to come out
that simple!).
It would only take 138.88 days.....

Ah, but you forget an important step in the analysis!

One picture is worth a thousand words. Therefore, the time required to send a
"Morse picture" at 20 wpm is equal to 1,000/20 = 50 minutes with no
compression.

73 de Jim, N2EY

So get going with your grossly incomplete picture.