Old September 24th 03, 02:35 PM
Dwight Stewart

"N2EY" wrote:
Dwight Stewart wrote:
And why would the ARS wish to continue to specifically
develop radio operators capable of using code?

Because the mode offers lots of advantages to radio amateurs.

What benefit does it offer?

- Narrow bandwidth required
- Can be used with a wide variety of technologies
- Capable of both manual and machine generation and recognition
- excellent weak-signal performance
- QSK (near-duplex operation possible on a simplex channel)
- only popular non-voice "audio" mode (can you work PSK-31
while driving?)
- usable by many disabled persons

Not what it offers you, but what benefit does it offer to the
ARS (here is your opportunity to show your position is not
just self-serving)?

See above. That's the short list.

All those are reasons for a person to choose to use code, but not reasons
for the Amateur Radio Service to continue to specifically develop radio
operators capable of using this mode. Understand the difference? One is a
choice based on the benefits of a mode while the other is a mandated
requirement concerning a specific mode. I'm all for urging people to try
Morse Code/CW. But the issue at hand is a specific requirement to do so,
which I don't think offers any real benefit to the Amateur Radio Service.

How will this (code skill testing) help to keep the ARS
abreast of modern technology, insuring our continued
value to others?

The mode can be successfully used with equipment of almost
any level of complexity, so that beginners can start off with
simple equipment and work their way up to advanced
technologies. And have good performance all along the path.

Again, a reason to promote code, but not a reason to mandate it.

How will this help move the ARS into the future (where we
should be mainly focused)?

By empowering more hams to design and build their own radios.

Electronics can clearly be taught without a code testing requirement. I'm
playing around with basic electronics, obviously without those code skills.
However, I'm not building a basic CW rig because it has no widespread
application in a modern world. I'm repairing an old SSB radio to learn more
about it, but that is clearly a minor project at the moment (my intent is to
build a simple SSB radio one day). Instead, I'm now mainly focused on
microcomputers, interfacing, programming, and robotics. That leaves little
time for pounding out messages with a code paddle.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/