Old September 25th 03, 01:50 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
.com...

"Dick Carroll" wrote in message

Dee D. Flint wrote:

"Radio Amateur KC2HMZ" wrote in
message ...

There are no FCC-mandated
subbands on 160, and that band hasn't exactly turned into a mess
without such regulations.

160 meters will never be a problem. Very, very few amateurs have the

room
to put up an effective 160meter antenna.

Actually you can. One that I found worked quite well on 160 was the
Alpha-Delta DX-A Sloper, actually a double sloper, which also works well
on 80 and 40.

A full size 1/2 wave dipole is of course another matter at ~250 feet.

Dick

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Ah but how "well" is well. And keep in mind that there are a fair number
who can't manage anything decent on 80 or even 40. I had a nice long,
random wire (about 250') but could only get it about 10 feet off the

ground.
While I was able to work stations in Kansas during the 160 meter contest,

could get California. Yet I heard East Coast stations who were working
those West Coasters that I couldn't hear.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Hate it when I skip a word typing. It should read "...I could not get
California..."