Old September 28th 03, 12:27 PM
Dwight Stewart

"WA8ULX" wrote:
Heres the solution to the BPL problem, it makes you
wonder why someone hasn't done it yet.
First stop messing with FCC, these Clowns have all
ready made up there minds. Look at the Present
Dumbing Down, which as been brought to us VIA the
FCC Morrons. So believe me they could care less
about Hams. And stop waisting your time sending in
your comments to the FCC. If anybody in there right
mind thinks they care about 1800 comments you
kidding yourself. The solution is Simple, go to there
Bosses, I dont mean anybody in the FCC I mean the
FCCs Bosses. Tell them how you plan on Voting the
next time out if this passes. Be sure and bring up
Homeland Security in your comments. This is the
only thing that will stop this. (snip)

It hasn't been done because it won't work, Bruce. First of all, we're (ham
operators) only a speck on the political spectrum. Even if we all voted
exactly the same (not very likely), we don't have enough numbers to effect
elections in any significant way. On the national level, our numbers are
about equal to the voting block of a single mid-sized city (in a country
with hundreds of cities). On the local level, the hams in a single state are
rarely enough to change an election there. Finally, we don't contribute any
great amount of money to elections. In other words, taken all together, we
don't have any political muscle to throw around.

As for the 1800 comments, have you read those comments? Most are opinions
without solid facts. In other words, they lack substance. Only a very small
number have anything firm to support the anti-BPL position. Compare that to
the technical materials and studies provided by BPL supporters. I warned
about this problem weeks ago. We're not giving the FCC enough to hang it's
hat on to oppose BPL. If we want them to oppose BPL, we have to give them a
solid reason to do so (a reason they can demonstrate to others).

As for homeland security, we're not doing a whole lot when it comes to
homeland security. If you talk about that, are you prepared to explain what
we're doing and who we're doing it for? What government agency do we work
for while participating in homeland security activities? Who in the
government is in charge of our homeland security operations? What are we
specifically doing for homeland security?

As much as I'm opposed to BPL, I don't see how we can stop it at this
point. We should have started our efforts two or three years ago. We should
now have solid, preferably long term, studies to back up our claims. We
should have technical materials showing the real impact on specific
frequencies and on specific radio services. I'm afraid it's too late to
start all of this now.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/