Old September 30th 03, 11:27 PM
N2EY

(Brian) wrote in message . com...
"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message ...
"N2EY" wrote in message
om...
(Hans K0HB) wrote in message
. com...
"N2EY" wrote

1) Back in '78, the students learned Morse Code as part of their CG

training,
so there was no other training needed for them to get Extra Class

amateur
licenses. Today, they would need to put in some of their own time, and

a bit of
effort, learning Morse at 5 wpm for that test.

You know Jim, the more I ponder this paragraph, the more I think you
may just have hit on an important way of grading the dedication (and
therefore "value") of any given amateur licensee.

Well, that wasn't my intent at all. I was merely pointing out that for
some folks, getting a license involves a lot of learning and the
related effort, while others already have the skills and knowledge.

The point is that licensing should be based on one's demonstration
of the required qualifications, no more, no less.

If someone already has the knowledge to pass the tests, fine.
There is no "value added" in "making them work for it" ... if
they have the knowledge they are qualified, period. (and likely
they worked for it or they wouldn't have the knowledge anyway,
so the logic of "making them work (more)" fails)

Carl - wk3c

Furthermore, if the US government wants to give all prospective
amateurs 3 hots and a cot, and a paycheck, for the duration it takes
to learn the code, I'd gladly enroll in the CG Morse Code school.

Thank you for illustrating my point so clearly, Brian.