Old October 1st 03, 10:23 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Bert Craig" wrote:

Ok, Dwight. Very easy. It's not. While the FCC is the
regulatory body to whom we answer, they are definitely
NOT the sum total of who or what defines OUR hobby/
service. We, as amateurs radio operators, are a big part
in retaining those element that define our rules, tradition,
and culture. This is why the NCTA's battle cry is "well,
the FCC doesn't think so" and/or "it serves no regulatory
purpose." (snip)

As you know, that's only one part of the "battle cry," Bert. The rest is
that about half the radio amateurs today (Technicians) don't know code
(culture), that most who do know code don't use it (tradition), that code is
not used for our service to those outside Amateur Radio (rules), and so on.

(snip) Calling the 5-wpm exam a barrier is just plain silly (snip)

It is a barrier to those who have no interest in Morse Code. Nothing more
and nothing less.

Frankly, I have much more respect for someone with the
stones to just admit that they're too lazy or insufficiently
motivated to bother meeting the requirements than all this
"regulatory" mumbo jumbo.

I've repeatedly said I have no interest whatsoever in learning code.
Doesn't that qualify as "insufficiently motivated?"

Because it beats a blank. BTW, were you one of those who
said that the VHF and up privies of your license were sufficient
for your needs? How long after Element 1 is dropped can I
address you as W5NET/AE, hmm?

Actually, I probably wouldn't rush out to upgrade. I have no place to
install HF antennas, and probably will not for several more years. In fact,
I'm in a situation now where my participation in VHF/UHF is even somewhat
hindered. As such, upgrading my license will serve no purpose anytime soon.
Therefore, I'll probably just leave what I have well enough alone.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/