Old October 1st 03, 01:41 PM
Mike Coslo

Dwight Stewart wrote:
"N2EY" wrote:

Here's one answer:

How many hams do you know who have designed,
built and operate homebrew stations? Not kits, not
partly home-made, not with homebrew accessories,
but 100% built-from-scratch amateur radio receivers,
transmitters, transceivers, antennas, power supplies,
etc.?

One of the oft-repeated claims has been that the
code tests kept out "technically inclined" individuals.
At least one NCTA (Vshah101) has claimed that
"no self-respecting EE would use CW". Etc.

(snip) If/when FCC dumps Element 1, will we see a
lot more homebrew HF stations?

Lets face it, homebrewing just isn't very popular today, in any license
class. Part of that is due to changing radio technology. It's fairly hard to
homebrew a radio today capable of competing with even the most basic
commercial product. Most are simply choosing to buy rather than build.

Might be the company you keep Dwight! 8^) Unless you are counting only
the building of the transciever itself, homebrewing is alive and well. I
make all the parts of my shack that I can, and know many hams that do
likewise. lots of cool stuff to build. Interfaces, anps, all sorts of
monitoring and test equipment, and more.

But its true, there aren't that many people building the rigs themselves.

- Mike KB3EIA -