Old October 1st 03, 09:09 PM
LRod

On 1 Oct 2003 18:53:05 GMT, (Stagger Lee)
wrote:

From
http://www.brainydictionary.com:

"Malingerer

"(n.) In the army, a soldier who feigns himself sick, or who induces
or protracts an illness, in order to avoid doing his duty; hence, in
general, one who shirks his duty by pretending illness or inability."

Which says to me that the poster is likening the supporters to a bunch
of military duty shirkers. That's quite a valid use of the word in
that case.

But that's not what the context is. The intent of the original
statement is clear that he is referring to his (Rich's) supporters.

"Rich is not missed save by a few of his malingerers."

Malingerers is clearly a noun. In the case you try to make, it would
be descriptive of his, what? supporters? apologists? In other words,
more like an adjective. Then what is it modifying? Nothing.

In other words, you are trying to convince us that the original poster
was saying that "Rich is not missed save by a few [people who feign
illness or inability]." Sorry, no sale.

: Yeah, Dan is garrulous, he is known to be a pain in the ass at times,
: but why promulgate it with your inane comments?
:
: Promulgate? Do you know what promulgate means? It is the process of
: developing legislation or procedures. It is not a synonym for
: "antagonize" or "perpetuate."

Oh heck: Let's look it up on the web again, since LRod needs all the help
he can get.

At http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/promulgate, we find that
some synonyms for the word are "exclaim" or "proclaim." That source
also suggests that you look up "announce" and "trumpet" if you are
trying to get a feeling for the meaning of the word.

I will concede that I've never heard promulgate used in that fashion.
Sue me. I will not concede, however, that given the whole text of the
definition (which refers to publishing laws or proclamations) that the
original poster's use was appropriate, particularly in the context of
the original post.

In fact, "perpetuate" is another perfectly good synonym, contrary to the
erroneous statement by "master language butcher" LRod.

Interesting propaganda technique there; citing a source and using
actual material from it, then adding one's own thoughts in the same
paragraph to give the impression one's own ideas are also from that
source. Please cite any source in which "perpetuate" is a synonym to
"promulgate." It's certainly not in the ones you used.

Perhaps "LRod" would do well to consult a dictionary himself before
attempting to correct someone else.

Just one? Why, you used at least two, neither of them mainstream, to
try and make your point. Something wrong with http://www.m-w.com ?

Instead of the intended result, LRod, you now have your foot firmly planted
in your own mouth.

I know you'd like to think so, but, I refer you to Mark Twain's essay
"Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses" in which he describes, with a
musical metaphor, Cooper's misuse of words as "sharping and flatting"
his way along. The vocabulary use in the original poster's message
fell short in substantially the same way.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net