Old October 2nd 03, 04:31 AM
Hans K0HB

Mike Coslo wrote

Good post, and good argument, Hans.

But I wonder if there is no place for pride of accomplishment? In my
other hobby, I spent several years making a large telescope. It was an
intense project, and took a lot of effort. In the end, I was rewarded
with a wonderful, beautiful, and very high quality instrument. It won
first place in the only competition I entered it in.

Of course there's room for pride of accomplishment! You ought to see
the walls of my shack covered with awards, the one of most proud of
being "A-1 Operators Club". You ought to see the walls of my office
covered with engineering and business related awards! You ought to
see me beam when I come back off the lake..... well, you get the
picture.

But getting back to the tone of this thread, while I highly value my
amateur license for the benefits it gives me (including trying to
"accomplish" things to be proud of), acquiring the license itself was
a pretty modest accomplishment.

73, de Hans, K0HB