Old October 2nd 03, 10:32 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Bert Craig" wrote:

Of course you can quote your source for these assertions, yes?

What assertions, Bert? This is a newsgroup discussion, not a courtroom.

Amateur radio is all we're talking about, Dwight.

For the reasons already stated several times, code testing cannot be
discussed solely within the context of its use within the Amateur Radio
Service. The FCC doesn't view it that way, therefore we cannot do so either.

(snip) Instead it's morphed into an "international" movement,
the result of which will devalue AR as a whole. (snip)

Nonsense. The entire rest of the radio world is moving, or has moved, away
from code/CW. If anything, our continued focus on that as a primary element
of this Service is what has devalued (and is devaluing) Amateur Radio.

I know I'd NEVER snub a licensed ARO OTA...but it'd be
foolish to believe that everybody will roll out the welcome
mat for known NCTA's. (Sad as it is.) Welcome to HF,
Dwight. Be careful what you wish for.

Is that some kind of veiled threat, Bert? If so, feel free to snub me all
you want. Someone who would treat another person as unwelcomed over
something as petty as the code testing issue is not someone I would want to
talk to anyway.

Try QRP, Dwight. You'll love it. Some of the newer antennas
are made to be used in just your situation and are no bigger
than VHF mobil antennas. There's also a special feeling of
accomplishment with making a contact with 2-1/2 Watts into
an "invisible" wire dipole or longwire strung temporarily
from a window.

You don't know what my situation is, Bert. I have considered the options
available and find none of them to be very useful. An external antenna, not
matter how small, is out of the question. The same with alternative antennas
(hidden and so on). Because of the building materials used, an internal
antenna is ineffective. The same with increased power output. I am not aware
of any solution that would be effective in my situation (other than moving,
which is also out of the question at the moment).

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/