Old October 3rd 03, 01:29 AM
Bert Craig

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
news
"Bert Craig" wrote:

Of course you can quote your source for these assertions, yes?

What assertions, Bert? This is a newsgroup discussion, not a courtroom.

The word assertion is not confined to a courteoom.

Amateur radio is all we're talking about, Dwight.

For the reasons already stated several times, code testing cannot be
discussed solely within the context of its use within the Amateur Radio
Service. The FCC doesn't view it that way, therefore we cannot do so

either.

I believe it's the job of the majority to work on getting the FCC to view it
that way. (Assuming, of course, the majority are PCTA's. Your opinion may
differ.)

(snip) Instead it's morphed into an "international" movement,
the result of which will devalue AR as a whole. (snip)

Nonsense. The entire rest of the radio world is moving, or has moved,

away
from code/CW. If anything, our continued focus on that as a primary

element
of this Service is what has devalued (and is devaluing) Amateur Radio.

I disagree...and BTW, it NOT a primary element.

I know I'd NEVER snub a licensed ARO OTA...but it'd be
foolish to believe that everybody will roll out the welcome
mat for known NCTA's. (Sad as it is.) Welcome to HF,
Dwight. Be careful what you wish for.

Is that some kind of veiled threat, Bert? If so, feel free to snub me

all
you want. Someone who would treat another person as unwelcomed over
something as petty as the code testing issue is not someone I would want

talk to anyway.

Puh-lease Dwight. Remember the "you're talking about me!" thread? No need to
play paranoid with me. If I were going to snub you or anybody else, I'd tell
you...CRT to CRT. HOWEVER, as the opening sentence of the paragraph states,
it's not my style and it's just plain wrong. Cautioning someone of a
possible hole in the road ahead is NOT akin to digging it. "Veiled threat,"
sheesh, Dwight. ggg

Try QRP, Dwight. You'll love it. Some of the newer antennas
are made to be used in just your situation and are no bigger
than VHF mobil antennas. There's also a special feeling of
accomplishment with making a contact with 2-1/2 Watts into
an "invisible" wire dipole or longwire strung temporarily
from a window.

You don't know what my situation is, Bert.

Sorry, just making an assumption in an attempt to assist.

I have considered the options
available and find none of them to be very useful. An external antenna,

not
matter how small, is out of the question. The same with alternative

antennas
(hidden and so on). Because of the building materials used, an internal
antenna is ineffective. The same with increased power output. I am not

aware
of any solution that would be effective in my situation (other than

moving,
which is also out of the question at the moment).

My job is like that. The building is really well shielded and I wanted to
run an inconspicuous 30/40m SW+ QRP rig from my desk.

--
73 de Bert
WA2SI