Old October 3rd 03, 02:18 AM
Arnie Macy

"N2EY" wrote ...

Emergency communications?

To a very small degree. Ask KT4ST - he's been there, done that.

This is true. Ben there, done that. Although Len likes to say that I work
as a "local" Emergency Manager, the fact is that I am the Director of
Emergency Management for two of the largest Military Installations east of
the Mississippi. We serve a very large population and coordinate closely
with multiple county EMA Directors. With that background in mind, we *do*
use CW to some degree when conditions warrant. For example, in 1999 (for
Hurricane Floyd) CW was used to communicate on HF when the conditions were
too poor to use SSB. Once the conditions improved we went back to voice,
which is always our primary mode. This is one of the reasons that I say
every Ham should have a basic skill in CW. It just adds to their
versatility in emergency communications.

Arnie -
KT4ST