Old October 4th 03, 02:10 AM
N2EY

In article , Alun Palmer
writes:

(N2EY) wrote in
:

In article , "Clint" rattlehead at
computron dot net writes:

When they drop the morse code test requirement, it's
fairly clear to me they just won't "drop" it all by itself with a
stroke of an administrative pen;

Why not? That's all that most of the anticodetest petitions are asking
for. Both the NCI and NCVEC petitions simply ask for the dropping of
Element 1 and nothing else.

I imagine it
will accompany other changes in the license structure...

Only if somebody asks for them.

The FCC considered all sorts of proposals 4 years ago and we got what
we have now.

what do you think will also change in the licensing
system when the drop the morse code test?

I think you're right, Jim. My guess is that Element 1 will be dropped and
all Techs will be given Tech+ priviledges. I don't expect anything else to
happen.

It's been almost 3 months. I'm convinced FCC had the authority to dump Element
1 soon after WRC 2003 ended.

Of course it's not a high priority for them.

That's not to say that some reform of the licence classes isn't overdue,
but the FCC position is that until there is some sort of consensus they
won't do anything about it.

See my post to KB3EIA. I doubt we'll ever get consensus due to the "nobody
loses/no giveaways" mindset.

73 de Jim, N2EY