Old October 5th 03, 03:22 PM
Mike Coslo

Carl R. Stevenson wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
t...

Carl R. Stevenson wrote:

And I think the three classes of license are reasonable and appropriate.
Tech becomes the "entry" license, general is "mid-grade," and extra is
"top." I don't see anything wrong with that ...

What do you think would be a good division knowledge wise between the
classes? The tech and general are not too bad now, knowledge to
privileges. I lean a bit toward having the Extra require a bit more
knowledge, or perhaps experience. I know a few no-experience Extra's and
it just seems (to me) that some "time in grade" might make the license
more meaningful.

- Mike KB3EIA -

I wouldn't oppose a bit more "meat" on the Extra written ... but I
would oppose any "time in grade" requirements. Folks either
qualify (pass the test) or not ... "time in grade" unnecessarily
discriminates against people who are qualified by making them
wait unnecessarily.

I don't look at it as discrimination. Right now, there isn't that much
difference between the General and Extra licenses. The largest being
some frequency segments which are often ignored. So the only
"discrimination" is that. No one is stopping anyone from getting on HF.

My thinking is that if we are to have three classes, they should mean
something. When I was a Technician, I had much more HF operating
experience -by way of the kind control op's from my club, thanks guys! -
than some Extras that I have tutored since. I could have, but wouldn't
dare, Elmer these Extra's at the time of having my Tech license.

A person has to start somewhere. Many if not most who get a Technician
license have their first experience on Radio the first time they push
the PTT button on thier HT. Many General class licensees get their first
tast of HF only after getting their ticket. All very good, and makes
good sense.

However, it doesn't seem reasonable to me that a person can have the
highest class license available, and yet have no clue about operating or
putting together a station. That really means that on a purely
functional level, there is no real difference between the General and
Extra class.

All that being said, if there is no waiting period or significant
bennefit to become an Extra, then I would support two licensing classes.

- Mike KB3EIA -