Old October 7th 03, 12:29 AM
Kim W5TIT

"N2EY" wrote in message
om...

On cb (this is the short list):

- Operation without a license (when licenses were required)
- Failure to identify

Hey, Jim? Just a quick question, 'cause I'm going on what goes on around
here. Have you ever heard long-time hams of the elder generation who get on
a club repeater and routinely forget to identify? I've heard entire
conversations take place here, where one or more of the long-time hams
[probably forget] fail to identify--even when they leave the radio.

- False/misleading identification

Haven't heard much of that on ham radio.

- Power far in excess of legal limit

Heck, I wouldn't know if that was taking place without the right test
equipment I suppose. I could sure guess it one way or the other or, again,
take some hams around here at their word that they "chuckle have a
tendency to overdo it now and then to get that " "rare" " one."

- Use of non-type-accepted/certified equipment

Ditto above.

- Operation on unauthorized frequencies

Haven't listened long enough at any time to see how much/often I hear this
on ham radio. Bet it goes on more than we realize, though(?)

- Intentional interference

Hear that all the time on VHF and HF. More common on VHF, though.

- Obscenity/profanity/vulgarity

Hear that all the time. And, I'd classify calling Democrats Nazis as being
vulgar, etc. I hear conversations such as this quite routinely around
here--again from long-time hams on their local "club" machines--I guess
where they figure they have earned the right to be that way.

- Contacts beyond the legal distance limit
- Contacts beyond the legal time limit

Of course, this would be a moot point--for the most part--on ham radio.

And the big one:

- Use of radio to facilitate other illegal activities (such as speed
limit violations)

Well, gotta hang my head again and say that I hear that routinely done
around here on 2M. In fact, you'll hear the proverbial "smokey" reports,
and hear of hams bragging all the time about zooming down the highway ("I'm
trying to catch up with you, dude, and I'm doing 75; how fast *are* you
going?"). Really.

Just my two pennies worth of stuff that can go on whether it's CB or not.
And, I agree with you on all the comments about TV, etc., although I like
most of the comedy shows on ABC.

Kim W5TIT