Old October 7th 03, 01:08 AM
Carl R. Stevenson

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Carl R. Stevenson wrote:

It is OF THE UTMOST IMPORTANCE that BPL interference
be properly ID'd. We do NOT want inaccurate claims of "BPL
interference" to be made because the BPL industy will say, "See,
we told you those hams were exaggerating ... our systems don't
cause interference."

Are there indentifying characteristics?

Listen to the ARRL video is the best I can offer over the net.
If you were here, I'd be happy to take you down to the BPL
area in Emmaus and show you ... to someone who's listened
to a lot of data transmissions it has a certain characteristic (which
varies from the SS system of main.net and the OFDM system
of Amperion ...) but it's nearly impossible to explain in text.

One possible backlash of this is that there may be many hams running
about looking for BPL interferece, and finding other Power line
interference that the Power companies will have to clean up!

Most have been dismally poor at doing that - ARRL has over 300
unresolved power line noise complaints on the books, according to
Ed Hare, including 50 or so where the FCC has sent a letter to the
utility telling them to find it and fix it.

73,
Carl - wk3c