Old October 7th 03, 08:01 PM
Mike Coslo

Dick Carroll wrote:

But.....how about all the Extras out there who have
successfully proceeded through the same system and emerged
with so little knowledge that they have no idea of even
how to design and build a simple *1/2* wave dipole?
With little or nothing beyond the question pools in their
libraries, many won't even know how or where to look it up.
And when(if) the day comes that won't be required to copy
ANY Morse code,one of the most used modes in ham radio,
at the most basic speed?

Understand that I'm not saying they shouldn't be hams, nor
that they shouldn't be allowed some HF access. We all start
somewhere.
But to allow them licensing into the top echelon of amateurs
is ludicrous and negates all that ham radio is supposed to stand for.

After I became an Extra, there was a time when I felt a little odd
about it. I knew all the test questions, and a lot more, but my
operation skills were really not that good. I also saw some Extras both
before and after I got my ticket who were really really green, and
needed tutoring in some real basics. I mean real operational basics. The
half wave/quarter wave dipole thing is no joke, even if we make fun of
it. The top level should be just that. As many people find out after
they leave college, there is more to life than just taking tests.
Experience should count for something.

- Mike KB3EIA -