Old October 9th 03, 04:36 AM
Kim W5TIT

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Ryan, KC8PMX wrote:
It might have if it was promoted better. The argument of people running

the internet, or the internet being competition is not as strong of an
argument (among other arguments). You can't "run" to something if you
didn't know it existed in the first place. Let's see, how many people

have
heard of the internet?? How many have heard of ham radio??? How many of
these answeree's are under 25-30??

I know what you're saying Ryan, but there is a huge difference between
the Internet and Ham radio:

Ham radio does not allow a person to download Porn, do business online,
or find cool software.

Ham radio would like a person to have a certain technical acumen, while
the internet demands clicking on links.

If you look at it from that perspective, yes. But, just as in ham radio,
even the "internet" provides for opportunity if you look and are interested
beyond the basics. There's networking environments that can be
"home-brewed" that will provide faster access, more efficient use of hard
and soft storage; there's machine specific solutions to better connection
speeds and more efficient use of BPS and MPS, etc. See? In my world, you
look at the "internet" like I look at ham radio. BUT, you won't hear me
saying that you aren't interested, or that you are "dumbed-down" or that you
aren't equal [or not], or any of those other childish arguments one uses for
self-gratification. Know why? Because, in the end, we are all on the
internet...and why would I care why or how you approach the task?

Wheras may who are interested in Ham radio find the internet a useful
tool and entertaining, the converse is only true in a very few cases.
It's really not the same group of people.

Once again, that is from your perspective.

If the internet were to suddenly dissapear, very few of the people using
it would decide to migrate to Ham radio (conjecture, for sure - but do
you want to refute that?)

Whereas, if ham radio went away today...well, there'd be no difference in
internet usage because most hams are already there... And, I daresay that
most hams would be "inventive" enough to create some pretty fantastical ways
to employ the technologies VOIP, etc., to using the internet for "fun"
communication.

Our local group just did a presentation/booth for the boy scouts this

past
week, and only about 5-10% had a clue that ham radio even existed.

Good work, man!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Kim W5TIT