Old October 11th 03, 09:46 PM
Dwight Stewart

"N2EY" wrote:
"Dwight Stewart wrote:

(snip)

My point is that the whole issue is not a mass movement.
Clint claimed, without any proof, that most hams want
code testing gone. Yet surveys show the opposite.

I certainly haven't seen a survey recently that could be said to
accurately represents the views of the entire ham radio community, Jim. I
believe you recenty posted the results of a survey done by some club that
shows the majority surveyed supported code testing. I don't doubt those
results at all. If you surveyed the local club here (and their friends
outside the club), the majority would also support code testing. Of course,
the club members here are fanatics in their support of code testing, even to
the point of openingly ridiculing Technicians who attend the meetings.
Because of that, few who oppose code testing, and even fewer Technicians,
attend that club's meetings or socialize with the members. Find me a survey
that is truly unbiased and I'll be glad to discuss the results. Until then,
discussing the results of surveys is simply a waste of time.

As you well know, NCI is only a tiny part of the overall
movement to end code testing - far more outside that
organization are involved (including some in this newsgroup
you've personally discussed this issue with).

How do we know this?

How do you know what? That you've talked to people in this newsgroup who
are not NCI members yet are still opposed to code testing? I suspect the
vast majority of those in this newsgroup who oppose code testing are not
members of NCI.

Who are "so many others", Dwight? If they really exist, why
haven't they signed on to NCI, which costs nothing more than
a few mouse clicks?

What is it with your obsession with NCI? Are you campaigning for members
or something? There is no requirement whatsoever that says those who oppose
code testing must join that organization. I haven't joined it. Neither has
my wife. In fact, I don't know anyone personally who is opposed to code
testing who has joined. Of course, there are many organizations in this
country I haven't joined. Therefore, NCI is certainly nothing special in
that regard.

And if it's such a done deal, why didn't FCC just dump Element 1
back in July?

As you well know, the FCC has rules and regulations to follow, Jim.
Because of that, they can't "just dump" anything. Something will happen
sooner or later. Give it time.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/