Old October 12th 03, 07:50 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Carl R. Stevenson"
writes:

and a "reward" for learning. I fail to understand why removing Morse
testing is any different from removing all aspects of RTTY knowledge
from the written test, e.g. "T8A10. What would you connect to a
transceiver for RTTY operation?".

Clearly AH0A can't understand (or accept) that the RTTY example
is "theoretical knowledge" and the Morse test is a test of a mechanical
skill ...

You mean "a practical skill".

No, I meant "mechanical skill." (touch typing would be in the same
category ...)

Both are valuable to the radio amateur. Whether either should be tested is

matter of opinion, nothing more.

But if a person has no interest in RTTY, why should that person be

subjected to
questions on the subject?

Why can't a ham be trusted to learn about RTTY if/when the desire to use

that
mode arises? RTTY is "just another mode", is it not? There's no

requirement for
any ham to ever use it.

There is an ITU-R Recommendation that deals with the sorts of
THEORETICAL knowledge that hams should possess ... IIRC,
it's ITU-R Recommendation M.1544 ...

That recommendation is consistent with the basis and purpose
of the ARS, both as defined by the FCC and the ITU.

While not strictly mandatory, it is provided as "good advice to
administrations" on what sorts of theoretical knowledge hams
should possess.

Carl - wk3c