Old October 12th 03, 07:45 PM
N2EY

In article , "Kim"
writes:

"Robert Casey" wrote in message
N2EY wrote:

In article , Robert Casey

writes:

There should be some sort of beginner's license that an average 14 year
old honor roll student can get

That would require an extensive reworking of the current tests. We've got
at
least one 6 year old General and an 8 year old passed the old Extra.

I mean "average honor roll high school student", not "Einstein's
grandson".

More likely "granddaughter", though.

Also
I mention the honor roll student in the sense that Beavis and Butthead
would not be
able to pass the license tests.

heh...heh...tests.....heheh

That sounds to me like a thinly veiled "filtering tool" again; using some
form of exam or entrance requirement to "filter" out types of people that
are designated as undesirable by...you guessed it: *other* types of people.

heh...heh....she said filter...heh...heh

"Make them jump through the written test hoop"
"I had to take written tests..."
"We'll be overrun by appliance operators!"

I am of the ilk that anyone who passes whatever entrance there is into ham
radio (whether it be in written or mode-test form--just whatever entrance
there is into ham radio at the particular time someone is interested) is
welcomed to ham radio.

Same here - unless there is something which definitely disqualifies a person
from eligibility (like unresolved convictions for violations of the
Communications Act).

I'd rather have the opportunity to let the majority
environment of ham radio be the positive influence on someone who may
otherwise not be "desirable" and let them warm up to the service, in
general. Closing the door right up front never allows us the opportunity to
be a positive influence; and that is a loss.

You miss the point, Kim.

The whole long dragged out argument is about what those entry requirements
should be. Robert wants an entry level test that an "average honor roll high
school student" could pass. Right away, one has to ask - why an honor roll
student? And what about a middle schooler?

My point about the 6 year old General and the 8 year old Extra is that even the
pre-restructuing exams were such that children much younger than high school
could pass them.

And I am on record that there should not be a minimum age requirement for any
class of amateur license.

There is also the idea that rather than "closing the door right up front" (good
turn of phrase, btw) that what is being attempted is to have the learning and
testing process be a positive influence.

If Beavis did get a license, then ham
radio would
sound like the old 147.435 machine on L.A...... W6NUT IIRC

Even Beavis and Butthead have the potential to be a great couple of guys.
Everyone has potential.

Of course - but what matters is what is demonstrated.

And how are the license test requirements decided?

Put aside the code test brouhahah for a moment, and let's look at the writtens.

At one extreme, the writtens could be derived from an enormous pool of
questions covering every aspect of amateur radio in such detail that they'd
require a photographic mempory and/or a thorough understanding of the rules,
theory and operating practice to pass.

At the other extreme, the writtens could consist of a few extremely basic
questions such as "Where are the rules of the ARS to be found?" and "Who is
required to follow those rules?" and "Do you solemnly
swear/affirm/cross-your-heart-and-hope-to-die-promise to follow the rules of
the ARS?" with everything else left up to the licensee and the amateur radio
community.

Most folks will now say "Oh no, I mean something between those two extremes!"
And that "middle ground" all comes down to somebody's opinion, nothing more.

73 de Jim, N2EY