Old October 16th 03, 05:29 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

"Dick Carroll" wrote in message
My response to the document "Amateur radio in the 21st century" by Jim
Wiley, KL7CC of the NCVEC

Will we lose something because we will no longer have the knowledge

that all hams can at least understand and send CW, even if very slowly?
Maybe, maybe not. You would be surprised at the number of applicants
I see that actually want to learn CW - they think it will be fun.
There’s a novel concept - someone learning a skill because it is fun,
not because the government says you must do it.

And as I have been saying all along.... these are the ones that the
pro-coders need to cultivate and work with if there is actually any merit to
morse code. Refusal to do something like that demonstrates the lack of
merit of morse....

Like anything else, when a person finds he or she has a need to use

Morse code, they will learn it .

**THAT** is truly laughable, particularly so coming from a fellow who
claims to be a code user himelf. Any code user who actually
does use it knows much better than that. You DON'T and CAN'T learn the
code on the spur of the moment, just "when you need it".
What total nonsense!

I believe he was referring to casual use, not necessarily in an emergency.
Albeit slow, a person could still send code via a chart/cheatsheet if in an
emergency. Granted, decoding it may be a challenge for the person, but a
person could still alert someone for help. (Not saying this is a viable
normal solution though.)

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)