Old October 17th 03, 02:41 AM
N2EY

In article AJejb.26585$Rd4.4023@fed1read07, "K7JEB"
writes:

Jim, N2EY, wrote:

20 wpm derives from the old 1923-24 "Amateur Extra
First Class" which chose 20 as double the old 10 wpm
standard. It was reintroduced in 1951 when the current
Amateur Extra class was created.

Both speeds are far below those required of experienced
professional Morse operators.

Are there any 'professional' Morse operators left who
earn their living by sending by hand and receiving by
ear? I am under the impression it is now strictly an
amateur endeavor.

There are still a few ships using Morse and a few shore stations, but you have
to look for them really hard. I don't think there are any left in the USA.

The maritime services got away from using Morse for the same reasons railroads
got away from steam locomotives: Cost to operate.

Back when the transition was being made, diesel electric locomotives cost more
to build or buy than the equivalent horsepower in steam, and coal cost less
than its diesel fuel equivalent.

But diesels did not require turntables, tenders, large amounts of water and
distribution thereof, or disposal of ashes. The volume and weight of fuel for a
given number of horsepower-hours was less for a diesel, and the fuel was a
clean, easy to handle liquid. Diesel maintenance was less and in warm weather
diesels could be shut down and started up on a few minutes' notice. Multiple
diesel units could be coupled together for more horespower without requiring
another engine crew to operate.

73 de Jim, N2EY