Old July 29th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
ml ml is offline

Default heliax vs lmr

i've read the specs on some healiax and lmr 400 but i can't say that i
always can interpert it fully and confused myself basically
interperting a real world practical answer

if for ex i am going to do some 1296 work and debate what coax is best

i compare lmr400 to 1/2i heliax is the heliax much better ? by how much

how about lmr 600 vs 1/2in/ and maybe 7/8" heliax is the lmr nearly
as good or is the heliax vastly superior?

comming here for a tie breaker everyone i asked either gives different
answers and non can explain their choice

i am not looking for a well lmr is pretty close and cheeper so buy it,
price is not the issue i just want to know based on technical spec's

if they are only 1db apart it's splitting hairs i'd get the cheepest
easist to work w/ after that i just want least loss

thanks
Old July 29th 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed Ed is offline

The problem you are having comparing heliax to coax is that you are not
considering all the parameters. Loss is only one aspect. The biggest
difference between most coax and Heliax is physical construction. Heliax,
properly installed, with last 10 to even 20 years outdoors before it should
be replaced. Coax would deteriorate much much faster. Heliax is a much
more "sturdy" product and can also hold up to weather damage better than
coax. Being made with a sold jacket also adds to its shielding superiority
over most coaxial cables.

For most ham use, You'll get the performance you need with coax type
cables and not need heliax.... plus your wallet will remain fatter, too.
( I haven't even mentioned the high cost of connectors for Heliax, if you
purchase them new.)

Ed K7AAT
Old July 30th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

No doubt you'll get a few answers...

This is a good URL to compare line loss on;

http://www.ocarc.ca/coax.htm

A 50 metre run on 1296 of LMR400 is about 7.8dB

A 50 metre run of LDF4-50 (1/2" heliax) is about 4.2dB

A 50 metre run of LDF5-50 (7/8" heliax) is about 2.3dB

You can work out the difference in your install by scaling things
proportionally. Dont forget to factor in additonal loss for any mismatch.

You then have to ask whether that few dB will make a difference in
whatever your mode of operation and interest is. When a RX signal is
borderline that dB or two can make a useful difference.

Dont forget to factor in the cost of connectors. You may also find both
the LMR400 and Andrew cable is too rigid.

I'd personally stick to LMR400 simply because I see that as a major step
up from (say) RG213 (16dB loss per above) using roughly the same cable
diameter. Some of my interest is in low signal 144MHz work but I tend to
reduce that problem by using a preamp at the antenna. About the only
downside for me using LMR400 is its rigidity and turn radius limitation.
I also tend to think in terms of a link budget. Thats easy to do with a
path prediction program. (There are some GPL ones out there)

Hope this helps

Cheers Bob VK2YQA

Old July 30th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
ml ml is offline

ml wrote:
i've read the specs on some healiax and lmr 400 but i can't say that i
always can interpert it fully and confused myself basically
interperting a real world practical answer

thanks very much i see the 600 and 1/2 are very close and the 600 is
way chubby and hard to work w/plus $$ whereas heliax i think i can find
on ebay or hamfair

normal sized guess it will last has good shield not too bad to work w/
i think in my applicatioin a 1'x1' shaft few bends on the roof easy
and a few in the hallway molding tray prob the hard part

not counting hoisting it up the shaft the lmr went up ok but it's
light

adding more coax and antennas are the most fun

thanks again al for the help
Old August 1st 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
ml ml is offline

In article . 196,
Ed wrote:

The problem you are having comparing heliax to coax is that you are not
considering all the parameters. Loss is only one aspect. The biggest
difference between most coax and Heliax is physical construction. Heliax,
properly installed, with last 10 to even 20 years outdoors before it should
be replaced. Coax would deteriorate much much faster. Heliax is a much
more "sturdy" product and can also hold up to weather damage better than
coax. Being made with a sold jacket also adds to its shielding superiority
over most coaxial cables.

For most ham use, You'll get the performance you need with coax type
cables and not need heliax.... plus your wallet will remain fatter, too.
( I haven't even mentioned the high cost of connectors for Heliax, if you
purchase them new.)

Ed K7AAT

lots of good tips everyone thanks much