Old August 2nd 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Question on carbon fibre fishing rod

I plan to use a carbon fibre fishing rod as a stealth antenna at my summer QTH . The rod would just be a mechanical support, while the proper antenna would consist of a copper wire replacing the fishing wire (i.e. it would run on one side of the rod, parallel to it)

I am getting worried by the fact that the carbon fibre rod may dissipate significant power because of the RF current induced in it (the rod would be very close to the radiating wire) and of its non-negligible resistance.

I had occasion to broadly measure the rod DC resistance with an ohm x 1000 ohmeter, at about 4 inches of distance on the rod, and the meter reading was about full scale (low resistance). But the resistance range I am worried about is in the order of a few ohms, so my measurement does not tell much. In any case, reading some articles on carbon fibre on the Internet, I learned that the rod must anyway have a few ohms of resistance, quite a dangerous range.

The real question is: shall I expect that the copper wire will induce RF current on the rod that would cause power dissipation in it? Does anyone have experience with such an arrangement?

Please do not suggest me to use a fiberglass rod instead because, for a given length, it would be much thicker and heavier (too much).

73

Tony I0JX - Rome, Italy
Old August 2nd 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 19:32:38 +0200, "Antonio Vernucci"
wrote:

I plan to use a carbon fibre fishing rod as a stealth antenna at my =
summer QTH .

Hi Tony,

What frequency?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Old August 2nd 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 20:22:59 +0200, "Antonio Vernucci"
wrote:

7 to 28 MHz.

Hi Tony,

Presuming a length of 3M, and you can tune the antenna; then you may
lose a few dB.

As for heating. The exposure to sun (if the rod is black) will
probably create more heat than the RF. You need to provide a
resistance reading with more resolution than 0 Ohms on the 1000 Ohms
range.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old August 2nd 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hi Tony,

Presuming a length of 3M

the rod is 8 meter long

, and you can tune the antenna; then you may
lose a few dB.

hard to tell how many dB one would loose, until the power loss mechanism via the rod coupling is understood. I would need to find somebody who had occasion to test that configuration, otherwise I will have to anyway buy the rod (about 100$) and make the test myself

As for heating. The exposure to sun (if the rod is black) will
probably create more heat than the RF.

I am not worried at all of rod heating, but of RF power loss

You need to provide a
resistance reading with more resolution than 0 Ohms on the 1000 Ohms
range.

There are many articles on the Internet that suggest a resistance in the order of one ohm or so. But knowing precisely how many ohms the rod shows woud not help much, as, again, until the loss mechanism is not characterized, noone can stell something sensible

73's

welcome

Old August 2nd 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

If you can measure the resistance at more than one point on the surface
of the rod, does this imply that the rod surface is conductive
everywhere along its length?

If you could attach the wire to the rod so that it touches everywhere
along the length, then the current would divide between the rod and the
wire according to their respective resistance per length (most of the
current would flow in the wire) and the currents induced in the pole
would be in phase with the currents induced in the wire.

I think it would help to have the wire attached at least at the bottom
of the pole and the top of the pole.

If you attach the wire only at the top and ground the bottom of the
pole, you make a rather lossy folded monopole. If you attach the wire
at both the top and bottom of the pole and insulate the whole structure
from ground, it's more like a cage monopople with one lossy wire and
one good wire.

Dan

Old August 2nd 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 21:33:33 +0200, "Antonio Vernucci"
wrote:

hard to tell how many dB one would loose, until the power loss mechanism via the rod coupling is understood. I would need to find somebody who had occasion to test that configuration, otherwise I will have to anyway buy the rod (about 100$) and make the test myself

Hi Tony,

That is the only sure way of knowing. Modeling with EZNEC will
certainly reveal obvious problems.

As for heating. The exposure to sun (if the rod is black) will
probably create more heat than the RF.

I am not worried at all of rod heating, but of RF power loss

Same thing.

There are many articles on the Internet that suggest a resistance in the order of one ohm or so. But knowing precisely how many ohms the rod shows woud not help much, as, again, until the loss mechanism is not characterized, noone can stell something sensible

Total resistance over 8 meters is 1 Ohm? If so, it does not look like
a problem. 1 Ohm every 10cM? Still does not look like a problem.

Download EZNEC and do your own modeling.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old August 2nd 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Old August 2nd 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Tony,

The best thing to do is insulate the wire from the rod at the top and
bottom. Space the wire from the rod by one or two centimetres.

The rod will not be near to 1/2-wave resonance and the antenna will
behave very much as if the rod did not exist.

Remember that loss induced in the rod will be negligible when the
resistivity of the rod is high, or is also very low. I would imagine
the loss would be greatest when the end-to-end rod resistance is in
the order of 150 ohms.

But loss will be induced in the rod only when the rod is near to
1/2-wave resonant.
----
Reg.