Old January 14th 04, 11:09 PM
Robin

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
t...
Cecil Moore wrote:

The scan rate of most computer monitors is closely related to multiples
of the scan rate of a NTSC television signal scan rate.

How do you work that out? NTSC is 60Hz (30Hz Interlaced)
So Most CRT monitors run at 70Hz, 75Hz, 85Hz and maybe 100Hz for a high end
monitor at 1024*768

Where is the link between the vertical refresh rates?

Have a google search for Vesa refresh rates for more info.

Robin.. ( I used to work for NEC building computer monitors before NEC
pulled out of manufacturing them in the UK)

Old January 15th 04, 05:40 PM
Steve Nosko

Robin,

I *haven't* worked in this area, but I still knew this comment was misplaced
since I've seen all kinds of scan freqs over the years.

--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.

"Robin" wrote in message
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
t...

Old January 17th 04, 07:47 PM
Robin

"Bill Turner" wrote in message
Keep in mind the difference in phosphor persistence. TV CRTs are
designed with enough persistence to make 60 Hz flicker invisible.
Computer CRTs have no such limitation.

--
Bill, W6WRT

Computer CRT's also have phosphor persistence, this is also defined by the
physical size and depth of each layer of phosphor as in a TV CRT, the
difference is that the phosphor pixels are smaller, so can convert less
electron beam energy to light, and for a shorter period of time.
Robin

Old January 17th 04, 11:45 PM
Mike Coslo

Robin wrote:

"Bill Turner" wrote in message

Keep in mind the difference in phosphor persistence. TV CRTs are
designed with enough persistence to make 60 Hz flicker invisible.
Computer CRTs have no such limitation.

--
Bill, W6WRT

Computer CRT's also have phosphor persistence, this is also defined by the
physical size and depth of each layer of phosphor as in a TV CRT, the
difference is that the phosphor pixels are smaller, so can convert less
electron beam energy to light, and for a shorter period of time.
Robin

Hey Robin! *You* tell us why computer screens flicker on television.
Then explain why many of them have horizontal bars running vertically
through the pictures. Then explain why the bars are of different sizes
and timing from appearance from top to bottom of the screen. Then
explain why some don't.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old January 18th 04, 11:56 AM
Volker Kerkhoff

w4jle wrote:

If you go to Europe, you go nuts for the first few days getting used to the
flicker as they use a 50Hz refresh rate.

If a european ever goes to the US or far east he'll posibly go nuts over
one of the main features of the NTSC color system, AKA as "Not Twice
Same Colors"

;-)

73,

Volker

Old January 18th 04, 09:18 PM
Ian Jackson

In message , Volker Kerkhoff
writes
w4jle wrote:

If you go to Europe, you go nuts for the first few days getting used to the
flicker as they use a 50Hz refresh rate.

If a european ever goes to the US or far east he'll posibly go nuts
over one of the main features of the NTSC color system, AKA as "Not
Twice Same Colors"

;-)

73,

Volker

Not really true, surely?

There is 'something' about NTSC compared with PAL. However, I've never
seen bad colo(u)r on NTSC sets which was not mainly due to poor signal
quality anyway, and where PAL would probably been the same.

These days, don't they transmit the correct colours as a reference in
the vertical interval, and the set uses (or can use) this to correct the
phase errors?

Ian.

Old January 19th 04, 03:37 AM
Mike Coslo

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Volker Kerkhoff
writes

w4jle wrote:

If you go to Europe, you go nuts for the first few days getting used
to the
flicker as they use a 50Hz refresh rate.

If a european ever goes to the US or far east he'll posibly go nuts
over one of the main features of the NTSC color system, AKA as "Not
Twice Same Colors"

;-)

73,

Volker

Not really true, surely?

There is 'something' about NTSC compared with PAL. However, I've never
seen bad colo(u)r on NTSC sets which was not mainly due to poor signal
quality anyway, and where PAL would probably been the same.

These days, don't they transmit the correct colours as a reference in
the vertical interval, and the set uses (or can use) this to correct the
phase errors?

It is a source of great amusement to listen to people dissing one or
the other - NTSC or PAL, or even SECAM.

They all suck very much. Trying to decide which one sucks the most is a
waste of time.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old January 19th 04, 01:07 PM
Editor-GilbertNews

I would agree with that. Once I am use to the flicker, I marvel at the
cnsistancy of color from camera to camera.

Old January 20th 04, 12:37 AM
Butch

rite this down, "sync rate/refresh rate/scan rate/any other combinations
of words that means the same thing". Now stop this nonscense. Lets
start a new thread, "did I spell non-scense rite ?" New thread idea,
" do the quote marks come inside or outside the question mark"?"

Butch KF5DE

Bill Turner wrote:
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:47:49 -0000, "Robin" wrote:

Computer CRT's also have phosphor persistence

I never said computer CRT's don't *have* persistence, I said that they
are not limited by the 60Hz requirement of TVs.

All CRT phosphors, whether for TV, computer or oscilloscope, have *some*
degree of persistence. Hopefully the manufacturer has matched the
persistence to the use.

--
Bill, W6WRT

Old January 21st 04, 08:30 PM
Volker Kerkhoff

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 03:37:46 GMT, Mike Coslo
wrote:

It is a source of great amusement to listen to people dissing one or
the other - NTSC or PAL, or even SECAM.

They all suck very much. Trying to decide which one sucks the most is a
waste of time.

Most probably correct. And what disturbs me most is that nobody has
come up with something better available to the consumer "in general" I
mean, maybe I'm expecting too much from an industry that has not been
able to control "ghosting" effects in the end credits (white lettering
on black background) on a reasonably new TV set when fed with S-Video
from a digital source.

OTOH, SECAM is a bit more complex than NTSC or PAL. To the best of my
understanding, they actually send the chroma portion of the signal
*after* the luminance, so sets that are fit for SECAM gotta have a
delay line somewhere to brinc Chroma and Luminance back together,
IIRC?

And what about and adaption of "our" SSTV standards to "Fast Scan"
television? Would that work within reasonable parameters?

Volker