Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 23rd 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Antenna wire

In searching the 'net for wire suitable for wire antennas, I came
across a single core 2.7mm diameter 40% aluminium clad high tensile
steel wire.

I am trying to get some further detail on its Guaranteed Breaking
Strength, but my guess is that the steel core is probably somewhere
about 1000 MPa UTS, and will give an overall GBS around 4kN.

The coating thickness looks like high conductivity aluminium, with a
thickness of 300 microns, which is 5 skin depths at 1.8MHz, so
conductivity should be good.

Apart from the challenge of making reliable connections to aluminium,
are there other "issues" that come to mind in using such wire for
antennas?

Owen