Old May 21st 06, 08:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Default Idine Ghoreishian -by- Idine Ghoreishian { The SPGC Antenna by RHF }

For One and All,

The Spiro-Helical Antenna -by- Idine Ghoreishian
http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/ava...cted/etdig.pdf
Spiro-Helical Antenna = http://tinyurl.com/ga75w

Warning this "Thesis" is 89 Pages long and does get
a little too technical for persons like myself who tend
to try and Keep It Simple And Practical. {KISAP}

This new Spiro-Helical Antenna has radiation characteristics
comparable to those of a conventional Helix type Antenna;
but occupies a much smaller volume.
Spiro-Helical Antenna = http://tinyurl.com/ga75w

Spiro-Helical Antenna is made of a Primary Helix Shaped
{Slinky} into a larger Helix {Double Slinky}; thus a the
resulting Structure has with Two (2) Degrees {forms} of
Helicity.
Spiro-Helical Antenna = http://tinyurl.com/ga75w

This Antenna is named the Spiro-Helical Antenna.
Spiro-Helical Antenna = http://tinyurl.com/ga75w

RHF HAS A VISION - THE SPGC ANTENNA :
My KISAP 'view' {Minds Eye} of this Spiro-Helical Antenna
is to "Think" of a standard Slinky {smaller Helic} wrapped in
a larger Helic around a Plastic Garbage Can with about Six
Inchs Spacing between the Coils of the larger Helic. This
should be 'about' Six Large Turns of the Slinky around the
Plastic Garbage Can.

Note - I call this KISAP application of the the
Spiro-Helical Antenna : The SPGC Antenna for
Slinky Plastic Garbage Can (SPGC) Antenna ! )

Now put that SPGC Antenna on your Roof or Balcony or
even invert it on a piece of PVC Pipe in the Backyard.
Tell all your neighbors that it is a new Wide-Band High
Definition Television Antenna for both Off-the-Air and
Satellite TV Signals that you are designed; and you will
be Saving a Ton-of-Money on your monthly Cable and DSS
Bills by using it. Mention that the SPGC Antenna also
has the latest IBOC signal capturing features for both
AM and FM Digital Radio. Plus add-in the fact that the
SPGC Antenna has DRM Sky Wave signal capabilities built
into it for Shortwave Listening from around the World.
XM and Sirius Satellite Radio - No Problem with the
SPGC Antenna just put their little antenna inside the
SPGC Antenna and you got em.
Wow - When they say : What-the-Heck ? - Refer them to
the Paper written by Idine Ghoreishian on the Spiro
Helical Antenna = http://tinyurl.com/ga75w

oh my poor brain - all these spiros and helics
are making me just a little dizzy - iane ~ RHF

PS - If you claim that all you Hear is Garbage on your Radios;
after you started using the SPGC Antenna - Don't Blame Me
After All You Are Using a Garbage Can for an Antenna ! )
Old May 21st 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/ava...estricted/etdi
[...]

Snip

The spiro-helical antenna is just a shortened version of a helical
antenna.

Your SPGC concept is unworkable, the elements are to close together.

A helical antenna on short wave frequencies would be physically huge.
This antenna design is practical for very high frequencies with high
gain and directionality.

I suppose it might be reasonable to make one for short wave with two or
three turns but I don't think it would be worth the effort over just
making a loop antenna.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old May 22nd 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Default Will This _____________ Work As A Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna ?

Telamon,

An old Metal Coat Hanger (MCH) attached to a Receiver or
Radio's Whip Antenna will function as an Antenna of sorts.
* Maybe not a great performing Antenna but an Antenna
never the less.
* Not a very Scientific Antenna -but- a Workable Antenna It Is !
* Why use a MCH as an Antenna - When There Are Slinkys )

Note - Future Topic To Post :
The MCH Antenna -vice- the Slinky Antenna "Shoot-Out"
between Shaped-Bent-Wire and The-Moving-Coils . . .

My Posting here are simply 'practical' Answers to...
an every day Question : Will This _____________
Work As A Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna ?

QUESTIONS - Concerning the Evolution of a Slinky as an
Antenna for Shortwave Listening (SWL) :

Q 1 - Can I connect a Slinky {Coiled Piece of Wire} to
the back of a Shortwave Receiver or to the Whip Antenna
of a 'portable' AM / FM Shortwave Radio; and will it work
as a Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna ?
-A- YES - The Slinky will work as a it will but not as
good as someting like a :
* Alpha Delta DX-Ultra Shortwave Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3377.html
* Antenna Supermarket Eavesdropper Sloper
Shortwave Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0013.html
* Par Electronics End-Fed Shortwave Listener
EF-SWL Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2205.html
* RF Systems Electro-Magnetic Field (EMF)
'passive wire' Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0743.html
* RF Systems Mini-Windom Shortwave Listening Antenna
* Spi-Ro SWL-2 Shortwave Listeners Antenna
http://www.spiromfg.com/receiving.htm
* BUX Windom Shortwave Listeners Antenna
http://www.packetradio.com/windom.html
and many more "Ready-Made" Antennas for
Shortwave Listening (SWL).
-Or- You are saving up to buy a Miracle Whip Antenna
http://www.miracleantenna.com/MiracleWhip.html

Q 2 - Will the Slinky {Coiled Piece of Wire} work better
'if' I stretch-it-out 5-8 Feet and make it longer for
Shortwave Listening (SWL) ?
-A- YES - The Slinky will work better as an Antenna for
Shortwave Listening (SWL) when it is stretch-it-out and
is longer.

Q 3 - Could I form the Slinky {Coiled Piece of Wire}
around a Hula-Hoop and make the Slinky into a Loop
Antenna for Shortwave Listening (SWL) ?
-A- YES - The Slinky could be used as a Loop Antenna for
Shortwave Listening (SWL) with a simple Twisted-Pair of
Wires or piece of 300 Ohm Twin-Lead as a feed-in-line to
the Receiver's HI-Z Terminals.

Q 4 - Could I Rig a Pair-of-Slinkys {Two Coiled Pieces of
Wire} into a Dipole Antenna and use them for Shortwave
Listening (SWL) ?
-A- YES - A Pair-of-Slinkys could be used as a Dipole
Antenna for Shortwave Listening (SWL) with a simple
Twisted-Pair of Wires of piece or 300 Ohm Twin-Lead as
a feed-in-line to the Receiver's HI-Z Terminals.

Q 5 - Could I Rig a single Slinky {Coiled Piece of Wire}
for Shortwave Listening (SWL) into a :
* Mini-Vertical Antenna about 15-22 Feet long
* Mini-Horizontal Antenna about 15-22 Feet long
* Mini-Sloper Antenna about 15-22 Feet long
* Mini-Inverted "L" Antenna about 15-22 Feet long
* Mini {End-Fed} Inverted "V" Antenna about 15-22 Feet long
Using a Matching Transformer or Magnetic Long Wire Balun
and Coax Cable feed-in-line ?
-A- YES - Slinkys can be used to make all of these five
types of Antennas for Shortwave Listening (SWL) using a
Matching Transformer or Magnetic Long Wire Balun and Coax
Cable feed-in-line.

NOTE - When using a Slinky as a Shortwave Antenna out-side
{out-doors} it is always a good idea to have a good earthen
Grounding Point {Ground Rod} for the Antenna System and the
Radio Equipment.

FWIW - The standard Full Size Slinky has about 100 Turns
with a Diameter of 2 3/4 Inches and a Circumference of
8.64 Inches for a Total Wire Length of 72 Feet. This
results in an Optimum "Stretched-Out" Length about 22.9
Feet based on Slinky's Coil Diameter and a Space between
the Turns 'equal' to the Diameter.

Q 6 - Why could a Slinky be made into a one of those
Slinky Plastic Garbage Can (SPGC) Antennas ? and used
as a Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna ?
-A- Why Yes... Yes It Can ! )
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...1fd6411001bb90

- = B U T = -
IMHO - None of these low cost and simple to make Do-It-Yourself
"Slinky Antennas" will perform as well as most of the
"Ready-Made" Antennas for Shortwave Listening (SWL) Listed
under Q 1 -IF- You have the Money to buy one and the Space
to put one up.
- For More - "Ready-Made" Antennas for Shortwave Listening
(SWL) see Shawn Axelrod's AMANDX presents "Pre-Built Antennas"
http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/recant.html
WebPage with a list of Commercially produced Antennas
listed by Company.

never one to slinky away from a question - iane ~ RHF
Old May 22nd 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article . com,
"RHF" wrote:

Telamon,

An old Metal Coat Hanger (MCH) attached to a Receiver or Radio's Whip
Antenna will function as an Antenna of sorts. * Maybe not a great
performing Antenna but an Antenna never the less. * Not a very
Scientific Antenna -but- a Workable Antenna It Is ! * Why use a MCH
as an Antenna - When There Are Slinkys )

Snip

This is not meant as a criticism of your antenna concept but the two
elements would tend to have the same voltage on both elements and not
generate much at the antenna output.

At least you are thinking about antenna possibilities. To bad we are so
far apart because verbal discussions about the subject can be fun when
you kick ideas around.

It would be big but I wonder if someone has attempted a short helix
antenna for short wave say about 3 turns worth; and how well it worked
for them.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old May 22nd 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Telamon,

I have seen my share of Metal Coat Hanger (MCH) Antennas
stuck-in the broken Whip Antenna hole on more than one
Car or Trunk - What Works - WORKS ! - iane ~ RHF

Old May 22nd 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article . com,
"RHF" wrote:

Telamon,

I have seen my share of Metal Coat Hanger (MCH) Antennas
stuck-in the broken Whip Antenna hole on more than one
Car or Trunk - What Works - WORKS ! - iane ~ RHF

Yeah, in that case bending the coat hanger into a question mark shape
works best. That is a joke for people that don't understand my sense of
humor.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old May 22nd 06, 07:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Telamon - Yes on that I would agree : Bending the
Metal Coat Hanger (MCH) Antenna into the shape
of "?" {Question Mark} would generally help to
improve the Radio's Reception since most of
what is heard on the Radio is after all very . . . .
Questionable ! ) ~ RHF