RadioBanter

-   -   Can't find enameled copperweld antenna wire (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/102269-cant-find-enameled-copperweld-antenna-wire.html)

Rick Frazier August 27th 06 08:05 AM

Can't find enameled copperweld antenna wire

wrote:

It's worth pointing out that copperweld, in addition to being superior
to house wiring, is CHEAPER than solid copper at the moment.

Dan

Superior is a judgement call, and if you like it better, than it's
superior for you. For myself, I prefer having the insulation on the
THHN wire I use, as I can't always keep the wire "in the clear". Also,
one of the reasons I gave up on copperweld was it's stiffnes and
propensity to kink, making a weak point that invariably failed in
relatively short time.

Of course, living in an area with significant acid rain (living on the
side of a volcano does have some drawbacks), it doesn't take much of an
abrasion to compromise the copper coating on copperweld, and once that
happens, rust soon follows, and down comes the antenna. (The PH of our
rain here is around 3.5... Neutral is about PH 7 or 7.5. Just about
anything that can will either rust or corrode here. Even tools in a
closed cabinet will rust if you don't take them out and oil them fairly
often, something nearly unheard of in most of the US.

Whatever you use, the main goal is to get wire in the air and keep it
there, so you can talk to the world. Whatever methond you use is up to
personal preference, and that's one of the things that makes this hobby
interesting.

Good Luck!
-- Rick AH7H