Old August 24th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Can't find enameled copperweld antenna wire

The last time I installed a wire antenna for 80 meters was in the mid 70s.
At that time the wire of choice was #14 (or perhaps #12) solid enameled
copperweld (now called copper clad) wire. Yes, the wire was kinky, fussy to
install, but it had high mechanical strength, excellent electrical
properties, and it lasted for many years.

I have moved to eastern Tennessee, and because of circumstances, I want to
revert back to a wire antenna, at least for the time being. Much to my
surprise I can not seem to locate a source of solid enameled copper clad
wire. Is there any reason why this wire is no longer available?

I will be suspending the wire between the chimney and the trunk of a tall
tree and plan to put a galvanized screen-door spring in series with the
support at one end. The span will be about 120 feet.

The WireMan offers several types of wire, such as "Fabricated 14 AWG solid
copper clad steel (30%). The best choice for long-lived, high performance
antennas in any environment. Breaking strength 550 lbs.", but this wire is
not enameled. (13ó/ft)

Another choice from the WireMan is "'Silky' 12 AWG, 19 strand, tinned, 40%
copper-clad steel. Smooth as silk, tight lay, engineered antenna wire as
close to solid performance as possible, but flexible and easy to use. Our
heaviest - overkill for most work. Break strength 474 lbs." This wire is
stranded and tinned. (22ó/ft)

Finally, the WireMan offers "Toughcoat 'Silky' 13 AWG, 19 strand 40%
copper-clad steel (OD 0.0795") with tough, high density, low-gloss
polyethylene (Nominal OD, 0.120" including 0.020" jacket. Designed for
through-the-trees, sea coast, acid rain or other inclement atmospheric
conditions. Our most rugged, longest-lived, stranded antenna wire for any
purpose. Jacket has minimal effect on performance - less than that of a
year's accumulation of oxidation product on bare wire, with less noise."
(21ó/ft)

Any advice, recommendations, or links to wire sources will be greatly
appreciated.

John, N9JG

Old August 24th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Bare copper or Copperweld has served me well everywhere I've lived. The
only time I've had a problem with it was at the coast, about a block
from the ocean where the air nearly always contained a fog of salt water
droplets. There, a copper wire turned into blue powder in less than a
year. I suppose you could have similar problems if you're downwind from
a coal-fired plant or something. So if you have a very severe
atmosphere, get the coated Wireman stuff. Otherwise, bare Copperweld
will do as well.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old August 24th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 00:15:50 GMT, "John, N9JG"
wrote:

The last time I installed a wire antenna for 80 meters was in the mid 70s.
At that time the wire of choice was #14 (or perhaps #12) solid enameled
copperweld (now called copper clad) wire. Yes, the wire was kinky, fussy to
install, but it had high mechanical strength, excellent electrical
properties, and it lasted for many years.

Any advice, recommendations, or links to wire sources will be greatly
appreciated.

John, N9JG

I use the Wireman's Silky 16 AWG for an 80 meter dipole. Tree limbs
have fallen on it, but it still hasn't broken (I think the screen door
springs at each end help). Any of his heavier stuff should hold up
fine.

bob
k5qwg
Old August 24th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John, N9JG wrote:
The last time I installed a wire antenna for 80 meters was in the mid 70s.
At that time the wire of choice was #14 (or perhaps #12) solid enameled
copperweld (now called copper clad) wire. Yes, the wire was kinky, fussy to
install, but it had high mechanical strength, excellent electrical
properties, and it lasted for many years.

Any advice, recommendations, or links to wire sources will be greatly
appreciated.

John, N9JG

Home Depot, Lowes, or any other local Borg...
I've been using ordinary, stranded 12 guage THHN house wiring. It's
insulated (yes, you do need to adjust length a bit for the insulation),
comes in a variety of colors (I prefer black or blue) and is strong
enough for most any antenna you'll likely put up. With fixed corner
posts, I ran a 800 foot loop through and over trees without any
problems, and have run at least one 160M half wave without any issues.
Note that I'm not in a heavy icing area, as my temperatures rarely get
even close to freezing where I live now (Hawaii), but many others have
also used stranded household wire to good effect. If your antenna isn't
in the clear, the insulation helps. Given a tree on one end, I've used
a pulley at the top with a rope connected to the antenna end, with a
bucket of sand on the other end. The bucket moves up and down as the
tree moves, and the last time I used this approach (in Washington state)
the rope lasted 5 or 6 years before I needed to replace it.

Good Luck,
--Rick AH7H
Old August 24th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. I will probably go with
#14 copper clad steel.

Old August 24th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

It's worth pointing out that copperweld, in addition to being superior
to house wiring, is CHEAPER than solid copper at the moment.

Dan

Old August 24th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
"John, N9JG" wrote:

Any advice, recommendations, or links to wire sources will be greatly
appreciated.

John, N9JG

Out here on the Left Coast, when one wants "The Best" in antenna wire,
one goes to a Marine Hardware supplier and orders PhospherBronze
Antenna Wire. This is used on most Vessels as LF/MF/HF Antenna Wire.
It lasts, basically forever, withstands whipping, doesn't stretch,
and is corrosion resistant in almost any weather or sea condition.
It comes in various sizes from #12 (7/12) on up to Ought (O) depending
on your antenna current and rigging. Standard NecoPress and Splitbolt
Hardware in PhosherBronze is available to facilitate rigging. I think
if you look on just about ANY Military Vessel, if it has wire antennas
they will be spec'd as PhospherBronze. It isn't cheap, but it is
"The Best".....

Bruce in alaska Al7AQ
--
add a 2 before @

Old August 24th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Bruce in Alaska wrote:

Out here on the Left Coast, when one wants "The Best" in antenna wire,
one goes to a Marine Hardware supplier and orders PhospherBronze
Antenna Wire. This is used on most Vessels as LF/MF/HF Antenna Wire.
It lasts, basically forever, withstands whipping, doesn't stretch, and
is corrosion resistant in almost any weather or sea condition. It comes
in various sizes from #12 (7/12) on up to Ought (O) depending on your
antenna current and rigging. Standard NecoPress and Splitbolt Hardware
in PhosherBronze is available to facilitate rigging. I think if you
look on just about ANY Military Vessel, if it has wire antennas they
will be spec'd as PhospherBronze. It isn't cheap, but it is "The Best".....

Bruce in alaska Al7AQ

Stranded phosphor bronze is also the normal antenna wire for North Sea
fishing trawlers, which regularly experience strong gales and heavy
icing in Arctic waters.

A G3 who lives on the Right Coast of the UK has 80m and 40m inverted-Vs
made from 3/8in fozzy bronze, and those antennas are also his tower
guys.

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK 'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek
Old August 25th 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

try http://www.cliffordvt.com/imsa.html
the imsa spec 28-3 copper clad steel with hdpe insulation is really tough
stuff. the insulation makes it a bit easier to handle than bare or
enameled.

. ..