Old August 26th 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default My beams twist more than Chubby Checker

Every antenna I ever bolted to a mast twisted. Tri-banders, 2M, TV antennas
always land up pointing in the wrong direction. I've had antennas actually
rotate, winding the coax around the mast till it pulls off. Does anyone have
a tip for keeping antennas fixed to the mast? No matter how tight the U
bolts are, the wind aways seems to win in the end.

--
Bob D. ND9B

Old August 26th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Bob D." wrote in message
m...
Every antenna I ever bolted to a mast twisted. Tri-banders, 2M, TV

antennas
always land up pointing in the wrong direction. I've had antennas actually
rotate, winding the coax around the mast till it pulls off. Does anyone

have
a tip for keeping antennas fixed to the mast? No matter how tight the U
bolts are, the wind aways seems to win in the end.

For several antennas I am using an add-on to the u-bolt. See it (or
similar) used with a u-bolt as item 8718 on this page:
http://www.teeveesupply.com/product_...nting_hardware
..htm

The toothed edges seem to dig into the mast section enough to keep it from
turning. If you need to be really secure, I suppose you could pin it
through the mast. The pinning idea also works with the antenna alone, but
I'd avoid putting another hole in the boom. Also, a pin alone allows some
angular movement, which you are setting out to prevent.

You may need a longer u-bolt than came with the antenna.

73,
"Sal"
(KD6VKW