Old January 6th 04, 08:17 PM
Slawek

Default Attic antenna project

Recently I got my hands on the second-hand 7600G and after trying 5m
long loose piece of wire on top of the shelves as an antenna I am
ready for something better.
I live in the centre of the 60,000 soul canadian town, in a 2 storey
house with aluminum siding on the second floor and vertical sides of
the attic, with plenty of RF noise (I have to admit half a dozen
fluorescent lights, two computers, two touch lamps). There is a small
(35' x 30') tree-less, wood-fenced backyard out of the upstairs
window where my shack is to be.
After some antenna-related reading and checking my bank account
(looow), I plan to buy some 100' of copper wire and install it at
attic in a form of multiple-conic, horizontal, closed loop or open
wire going up and down zig-zags along rafters. I figure I will need
transformer (which I can manage to make), coax cable running from
receiver up to the attic with the transformer at the end. Coax cable
will be grounded at the receiver with the 2mm aluminum cable going
down the external wall to the ground rod.
Alternatively I could run a straight wire (45') from upstairs window
down to a fence post across the backyard and perhaps along the fence.
With this option I am prepared to include Static Discharge Unit.

I would welcome any comments/sugestions regarding the above project
before I start. I would like to concentrate on SW listening rather
than MW, with a hope to catch Europe stations once in a while.
Thanks,
Slawek