Old January 7th 04, 04:22 AM
John Smith

Default EZNEC and Invalid Use of Null

Has anybody else had problems with the error "Invalid Use of Null" in EZNEC?
After that it rather inelegantly terminates the application and all unsaved
work is lost. Not exactly a graceful way of handling errors.

I'm not even sure what's causing the problem.

Thanks,
John - KD5YI

Old January 7th 04, 04:39 AM
Cecil Moore

John Smith wrote:
Has anybody else had problems with the error "Invalid Use of Null" in EZNEC?
After that it rather inelegantly terminates the application and all unsaved
work is lost. Not exactly a graceful way of handling errors.

I'm not even sure what's causing the problem.

Can you describe it in more detail? Does it involve a source? a load?
a transmission line? What does the antenna look like?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old January 7th 04, 07:32 PM
Roy Lewallen

I was alerted to this posting and tried sending email to you at both
your posting email address and the email address you gave when you
purchased EZNEC. Both bounced, so I'll try to answer the question here.

Chances are good that you've run across a bug which has been fixed. If
so, you can update your program to incorporate all the bug fixes and
manual updates. Start EZNEC, click Help, then Contents. This is the
EZNEC manual. In the left pane, click the bottom item, Support. The
Updates (Maintenance Releases) topic tells how to update your program.

The Reporting Bugs and How to Contact Me are good sections to read,
also. I do provide support for EZNEC.

If updating your program doesn't solve the problem, please contact me by
email, phone, or fax, and I'll be glad to track down the problem and fix it.

I heartily agree that abrupt termination of the program is not a
graceful way of handling errors. If, in the Reporting Bugs section
manual topic, you click the work "crash", you'll see the following text:

"Every effort has been made to prevent EZNEC from crashing. Crashes are
not acceptable, and if one occurs, every effort will be made to quickly
find and eliminate the cause."

I really do mean that. I'm not capable of creating a bug-free program.
So I've done what I believe to be the next best thing: when a bug is
found (and reported to me so I know it's there!), I'll fix it as quickly
as I can, and make the repaired program available to all users.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old January 7th 04, 09:24 PM
John Smith

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, Roy. It has been so long since I bought it, I just assumed it was
out of warranty. I checked your Web site and mine is 3.0.13. Pretty old, so
I'm getting the Universal update. I'll let you know if it doesn't fix it.

I guess I should have emailed you and asked if I was still entitled to
upgrades before posting.

Thanks again.

John KD5YI