Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 7th 04, 02:37 PM
Art Unwin KB9MZ

Default Form factor for inductances

In an earlier discusion of inductances with
respect to antennas I found that when modeling inductances
for the purposes of coupling I found that breaking up a
'point' inductance such that it spread over the actual
length of an inductor not only reqired more inductance
but provided less radiation. The current per unit length
of the inductance flattened along the length whereas when
shown as a 'point' the current increased to form an apex.
This to me questions the adherence to form factors when
winding an inductance without knowing what the form factor
achieves that is desirable. Frankly it would suggest to me
that a pancake design of an inductor could emulate what was
found by modelling but what bothers me is that the pancake
design also has the apearance of a capacity hat.
Terman noted however that the pancake design can be found
in some broadcast installations which does not relieve me
from the question as to why form factors should be adhered to.
Comments
Art