Old August 30th 06, 12:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default light HF beam (not wired) ?

Hi,

I have already checked and I come back without the answer so maybe that some
of you could help me...

Does it exist manufacturers of very light HF beams, using light and quite
resistant material instead on steel or aluminium, the purpose being to use
it on portable ops, in the field, on vacations or to install it for a
week-end or a very light mast.

I don't speak of wired beam like hexabeam and others quad that require a lot
of time to be assembled and that are fragile, but standard 3 ele made of
light material (and I don't speak of bamboo, HI!)
There is well titanium but there are very expensive (see titanex)...

Do you know any other very light material used to made HF beams, and some
URL of manufacturers ?

Thanks in advance

Thierry
ON4SKY
http://www.astrosurf.org/lombry/menu-qsl.htm

Old August 30th 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Thierry wrote:
[...]

Titanex is a German company. They make beams out of a Titanium-aluminum
alloy. Light but not cheap. Word is they may not be a great supplier /
vendor...at least not to the US. Their US distributor cancelled their
contract.

John
AB8O
Old September 4th 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
art art is offline

Hi, I have used telescopic fishing poles ( known as crappie poles) for
many years on HF yagis. You can obtain them on E Bay quite cheaply upto
twenty feet long but in 4 foot sections.These are easily covered with
sticky back aluminum foil obtainable at any hardware store. Also
available is aluminum tape that has a backing of glass cloth. Advisable
to add aluminum tape after rod is extended as pretaped sections become
difficult to assemble. I have broken some over the years during
experimentation but with various sections on hand it is a quick turn
around to get back on the air. I once put 13 of these elements on a
boom with no problem regarding weight and it appears they are made of a
black fiber type material and ofcourse hollow As an aside sections have
a standard taper such they cannot be pulled apart at the ends and no
clamps needed.These are especialy easy to carrywhen hiking.
Regards
Art