Old September 6th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default my new antenna

The exciting news I have is that I decided to buy a discone antenna
matching my IC PCR1500 wideband receiver. Getting an AOR DS3000A,
"capable of covering 75 to 3000 MHz. . . . It is only 2.9 feet
(0.87m) tall and weighs 1.55 Lbs. This antenna can be used for
transmit on 144, 430, 904 and 1200 MHz ham bands (under 50 watts)."

Comes with a cable using N connectors, so now I have to decide on
using an adapter going from N to BNC plug or soldering on the BNC
connector I need. Or I could probably get a good cable with the right
connectors at eBay.

Cost from Universal Radio was $126, which seems like a lot, but I did
my homework narrowing down the choices from WinRadio, which was the
only other covering the range my receiver can pull in, and a couple
others with use extending only to 1300 MHz.

Just gonna use my rig in an apartment, so the small antenna will just
be like a Christmas tree in the corner. Robinson Carusoe
Old September 6th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed Ed is offline

Cost from Universal Radio was $126, which seems like a lot, but I did
my homework narrowing down the choices from WinRadio, which was the
only other covering the range my receiver can pull in, and a couple
others with use extending only to 1300 MHz.

Is there anything worth monitoring above 1300 MHz? Just wondering.

Ed
Old September 6th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 06 Sep 2006 18:49:59 GMT, Ed
wrote:

Cost from Universal Radio was $126, which seems like a lot, but I did
my homework narrowing down the choices from WinRadio, which was the
only other covering the range my receiver can pull in, and a couple
others with use extending only to 1300 MHz.

Is there anything worth monitoring above 1300 MHz? Just wondering.

Ed

You got me, I don't have the experience to know what I'm doing. Other
antennas, more expensive and heavy, can cover from 300-4000 MHz, but I
was reacting to negative comments about Radio Shack and a couple
others that are a lot less expensive, as low as $30 on eBay. One
opinion I read is that those advertised as going only to 1300 MHz can
actually function higher.

Robinson Carusoe
Old September 6th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed Ed is offline

Is there anything worth monitoring above 1300 MHz? Just wondering.

Ed

You got me, I don't have the experience to know what I'm doing. Other
antennas, more expensive and heavy, can cover from 300-4000 MHz, but I
was reacting to negative comments about Radio Shack and a couple
others that are a lot less expensive, as low as $30 on eBay. One
opinion I read is that those advertised as going only to 1300 MHz can
actually function higher.

Robinson Carusoe

Well, had I responded earlier, I'd have suggested the Diamond DJ-
130.... well made, goes for about $100, but as you have mentioned
already, only is spec'd for an upper end of 1300 MHz. But then again,
I can not think of any voice traffic that you would find beyond about
900MHz area, anyway. Good luck.

Ed

Old September 7th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 06 Sep 2006 22:55:06 GMT, Ed
wrote:

Is there anything worth monitoring above 1300 MHz? Just wondering.

Ed

You got me, I don't have the experience to know what I'm doing. Other
antennas, more expensive and heavy, can cover from 300-4000 MHz, but I
was reacting to negative comments about Radio Shack and a couple
others that are a lot less expensive, as low as $30 on eBay. One
opinion I read is that those advertised as going only to 1300 MHz can
actually function higher.

Robinson Carusoe

Well, had I responded earlier, I'd have suggested the Diamond DJ-
130.... well made, goes for about $100, but as you have mentioned
already, only is spec'd for an upper end of 1300 MHz. But then again,
I can not think of any voice traffic that you would find beyond about
900MHz area, anyway. Good luck.

Ed

One thing I didn't mention is that I have a Bearcat 860XLT scanner,
and the discone I got is said to function well with that. Yes, the
Diamond gets good reviews, too.

Robinson Carusoe

Old September 15th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 09:20:18 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Okay, I have received my AOR DS3000A and have the following items to
report about assembly.

1. The assembly instructions don't square with the package contents
in a couple ways:
a) there's a small package of lock washers included, but no
mention of their use;
b) two screws securing the support mast to the mounting are
mentioned, but one is included for the two holes in the mast and screw
points in the mounting. To install the support mast as described you
will have to drill an additional hole at the place corresponding to an
screw site.

2. More of a problem is the fact that screw points in the mounting
are directly under antenna elements angling down, preventing
installment of both for lack of clearance. Either you install the
antenna element and try to use another mast screw that's short enough
to allow clearance from the antenna element; or you install the
(single) mast screw and leave off the nut on the antenna element.

I'm disappointed in this kind of poor engineering and careless
packaging, but maybe I can work around these cosmetic problems without
sending it all back. Will update with comment about how it performs
after a while. bookburn
Old October 24th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

[...]

My latest judo move on the antenna I bought is that I returned the
product to the seller, Universal Radio, called them a month later
about an adjustment, had good success getting them to explain its
assembly despite the directions, and agreed to have them send it to me
again at their expense.

It was a tempest in a teapot anyways, because I only need the antenna
for my apartment, which doesn't require assembly to a mast. I have it
hanging in front of a window, and it looks like a little 2' Christmas
tree. I wonder what will happen to signals if I put tinsel on it.

So the end of the story is that it functions okay, I'm okay with
Universal Radio for doing me right, and thh'at's all ff'olks.

Robinson Carusoe

Why Antenna Tuners Aren't Necessarily Useful for Shortwave Listening - Question Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna Tuners - Do You Have An Opinion ? Bob Miller Shortwave 40 September 3rd 12 02:15 PM
Why Tilt ? - The Terminated Tilted Folded Dipole (TTFD / T2FD) Antenna RHF Shortwave 2 April 18th 06 10:21 PM
Passive Repeater Bryan Martin Antenna 13 February 10th 06 02:03 PM
The Long and Thin Vertical Loop Antenna. [ The Non-Resonance Vertical with a Difference ] RHF Shortwave 0 December 27th 05 06:03 PM
Grounding Steve Rabinowitz Shortwave 31 December 14th 05 05:26 AM