Old September 11th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Default Is the code requirement really keeping good people out of ham radio?

Allan9 wrote:
Off the wall comment.
I learned code in 1956 and haven't had to use it yet.
Al

I learned in 30 years later. Used it 1.5 times. Not worth the effort.

Old September 11th 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

wrote:
and makes the ARS look realy stpupid to most outsiders

Not nearly as stupid as most of the postings of the Inferior Five on
rrap.

You know who I'm referring to.

Old September 11th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

The Morse test neither helps nor hinders... It is simply another
barrier to be overcome by the motivated... If it weren't for such
barriers we would all have certificates as neurosurgeons...
If the feds want to drop CW, fine by me... If you want to discuss it
look for me on the bottom end of 160 and 80...

denny / k8do

Old September 17th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Denny wrote:

The Morse test neither helps nor hinders...

You are uninformed and only half-right. It does not help, it hinders.

Old September 19th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

wrote in
ups.com:

Denny wrote:

The Morse test neither helps nor hinders...

You are uninformed and only half-right. It does not help, it hinders.

Yes, it hinders.

It keeps out the stupid and lazy. Individuals that really don't what to be
hams if it requires knowledge and skill to get a license.

Make them stay on CB and FRS. They're not an asset to the service.

And neither are you.

SC

Old September 19th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 23:50:31 GMT, Slow Code spake
thusly:

wrote in
oups.com:

Denny wrote:

The Morse test neither helps nor hinders...

You are uninformed and only half-right. It does not help, it hinders.

Yes, it hinders.

It keeps out the stupid and lazy. Individuals that really don't what to be
hams if it requires knowledge and skill to get a license.

BULL****! Code is NOT KNOWLEDGE!!! I have NO problem learning
technical info that helps me use the radio properly. Code is not
needed to do that.

Get off your high-horse already.

Make them stay on CB and FRS. They're not an asset to the service.

CB and FRS don't have the range.

And neither are you.

Who the **** are YOU to make such a statement? You snot nosed,
arrogant PRICK! You do NOT know the kind of person that I am!! Wake up
and smell the cappuccino! Code is obsolete! Knowing code does NOTHING
to make somebody an "asset to the service". And, could you explain
what makes a person an "asset to the service"?

What fantasy do you hold that you would believe that your tiny-fisted
tantrums would have more weight than that of a leprous desert rat,
spinning rabidly in a circle, waiting for the bite of the snake?

Old September 19th 06, 01:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Who the **** are YOU to make such a statement? You snot nosed,
arrogant PRICK! You do NOT know the kind of person that I am!! Wake up
and smell the cappuccino! Code is obsolete! Knowing code does NOTHING
to make somebody an "asset to the service". And, could you explain
what makes a person an "asset to the service"?

Jeez,
Chill out, eh?

What fantasy do you hold that you would believe that your tiny-fisted
tantrums would have more weight than that of a leprous desert rat,
spinning rabidly in a circle, waiting for the bite of the snake?

Waxing poetic now?

Yes it's obsolete. Yes, it's fun.

Should it be used to qualify? Let the FCC decide (soon).

If it is eliminated, will that change the "Service"? Maybe.

Will CW disappear? Probably not.
Historically, it defined ham radio, so it has a special place in the
hearts of very many hams. It's natural that they sort of cling to it.

Will CW's elimination be the end of ham radio? Of course not.
Ham radio will cease when all the hams die off. New hams are needed,
with or without code.

My personal hope is that a significant minority of these new hams will
take up CW and learn to enjoy this mode. It truly is a fun mode. I
hope people will WANT to learn it.

Compulsory things are seldom welcome,,,some are necessary. Is CW a good
requirement for ham radio? I guess it has probably outlived its day.

A requirement related to other digital modes would make a good
replacement. True?
Old November 9th 06, 04:08 AM
Junior Member

Location: North Central West Virginia
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
The Morse test neither helps nor hinders... It is simply another
barrier to be overcome by the motivated... If it weren't for such
barriers we would all have certificates as neurosurgeons...
If the feds want to drop CW, fine by me... If you want to discuss it
look for me on the bottom end of 160 and 80...

denny / k8do
Ahhh someone has finally spoken the truth. How refreshing. We will always have the one percenters in any hobby, activity or other rallying point. When you remove the barriers to admittance you simply let in more one percenters, so now that one percent equals many thousands instead of the hundreds that got through before no code, incentive licensing etc. Its not the gold coaster filled with pride anymore guys, its become the redneck yatch club. Lets help out and team up with the new guys that are not part of the one percenters and you'll find that most of them would have eventually overcome the barriers. Most of the garbage ends up on 2 meter fm and 75 phone that leaves lots of bands and modes for the real amateurs (no coders included) to enjoy. And that doesn't mean that 2 fm and 75 phone are for loosers, by no means. When you swim in a community pool you just stay out of the nasty end and enjoy whats left. If the non-morons get mad and go away then the whole pool becomes nasty. Stay in the hobby, continue to do it the "right" way (lead by example), have fun, ignore the morons, pay attention to the newbies that show promise and the hobby just might survive. Morphed a bit but survive non the less. I welcome the influx of interest good or bad. Without it we would not be enjoying all the new rigs, antennas and accessories that are now on the market since the manufacturers were dropping like flies when we were more of a closed snobish hobby with dwindling numbers. The yahoos don't quite know what to make of the advanced DSP, high quality RF amps, Ops specific radios like the FT847 or IC910 or other inovations like the 1.2 ghz data stuff etc. but it wouldn't be rolling out of the factories if they weren't swelling the ranks of ham radio with new hams good or bad. C U on the bottom end of 160 and 80 ... or 40 SSB on Sunday mornings .... or 20 PSK mid week ... or 6 during that sudden opening on an indian summer morning ... or 10 FM around the greyline ... or, well you get the picture (I Hope) The new hams are not ALL ABOUT doom and gloom unless we (oldtimers?) let it happen and waste all our time crying about it on the newsgroups instead of being on the air communicating, contesting, experimenting and just plain olde fashioned hamming. Acting the fool (or just sounding like one) on the air and calling it fun is the sport of Morons. Serious, intelligent amateur radio is also fun and can usually be found by just changing the frequency, band or mode. All in all ham radio is getting better or at least has the potential to get better, bigger, broader in scope etc. as long as we don't waste our time bellyaching about the few that slipped under the ever diminishing radar. In fact before all this new ham bashing I remember we had a proportional amount of bad eggs then as well. We just seemed to either tolerate or take care of the problems in a different way. Wake up amateurs, the only way you loose the hobby is if you let go of the reigns.

shortwv John Lauritsen Shortwave 0 November 28th 04 07:19 PM
178 English-language HF Broadcasts audible in NE US Albert P. Belle Isle Shortwave 1 November 22nd 04 03:49 PM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1402 ­ June 25, 2004 Radionews Shortwave 0 June 25th 04 07:32 PM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1402 ­ June 25, 2004 Radionews General 0 June 25th 04 07:29 PM
214 English-language HF Broadcasts audible in NE US (09-APR-04) Albert P. Belle Isle Shortwave 1 April 10th 04 06:59 PM