Old September 12th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Question about Coax

Dear Cecil:

For us, in Argentina, the 75 ohms 3/4" "free tails" hard lines from
CATV installers, are great for VHF & UHF. Imported 50 ohms HL are very
expensive, and now RG-213 too (3 U$D/m) (and paymento for our jobs are
relative low in international currencies).

I have seen nice "plumbers delight" cheap and simple home made
connectors in a website (I try find its URL).

I don't know how many time its dielectric conserves its integrity but I
suppose it is more that a RG-8 survives in the atmospheric real
conditions.

73s

Miguel Ghezzi (LU 6ETJ)

Old September 13th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 11 Sep 2006 19:26:53 -0700, "lu6etj" wrote:

Coaxial lines it is not just RG-213 or 8's, is it? ¿what about hard
lines? (suppose a one with its ends absolutely sealed).

Normally you only seal one end of the line. That is to prevent the
line from developing a light vacuum when it gets cold or high
barometric pressure.

73s

Miguel Ghezzi (LU 6ETJ)

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old September 13th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 12 Sep 2006 15:34:16 -0700, "lu6etj" wrote:

Dear Cecil:

For us, in Argentina, the 75 ohms 3/4" "free tails" hard lines from
CATV installers, are great for VHF & UHF. Imported 50 ohms HL are very
expensive, and now RG-213 too (3 U$D/m) (and paymento for our jobs are
relative low in international currencies).

I have seen nice "plumbers delight" cheap and simple home made
connectors in a website (I try find its URL).

Here's what I used for 3/4".
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/conn.htm
1/2" is really simple as it only takes a PL259 and a brass tube
coupling.

I don't know how many time its dielectric conserves its integrity but I
suppose it is more that a RG-8 survives in the atmospheric real
sonditions.