Old September 22nd 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Use of lattice line to feed dipole

I have just strung a dipole of length of about 110 feet between a tree and
my house chimney. The primary use of the antenna will be 80 and 40 meters,
with occasional use on the bands between 40 and 10 meters. My junk box
contains a reel of open wire feeder (#16 solid copper wires with 1 inch
white plastic spacers spaced about every 5 inches), which would run from my
Johnson KW Matchbox to the dipole's center insulator.

I have never used this type of feed line before, and in fact I believe its
intended use was as a low-loss feed for TV. I am wondering if I could
eliminate a fair amount of aggravation for myself by using a newer
poly-coated window-type ladder line with #14 stranded copper-clad conductors
for the feeder. Can this type of feeder handle high power? For skimpy specs
on the ladder-line feed see
http://tinyurl.com/ouzye

Old September 22nd 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 01:08:08 GMT, "John, N9JG"
wrote:

I have just strung a dipole of length of about 110 feet between a tree and
my house chimney. The primary use of the antenna will be 80 and 40 meters,
with occasional use on the bands between 40 and 10 meters. My junk box
contains a reel of open wire feeder (#16 solid copper wires with 1 inch
white plastic spacers spaced about every 5 inches), which would run from my
Johnson KW Matchbox to the dipole's center insulator.

I have never used this type of feed line before, and in fact I believe its
intended use was as a low-loss feed for TV. I am wondering if I could
eliminate a fair amount of aggravation for myself by using a newer
poly-coated window-type ladder line with #14 stranded copper-clad conductors
for the feeder. Can this type of feeder handle high power? For skimpy specs
on the ladder-line feed see
http://tinyurl.com/ouzye

Go with the junk box stuff. It will have lower losses - especially
when it is wet. A much better choice.

Danny, K6MHE

Old September 22nd 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Concure. Plus it will have a MUCH lower wind resistance. My window type
feeders with copperweld wire break about once a year due to wind
whipping. Good choice!

Paul, KD7HB

wrote:

[...]

Antenna reception theory Paul Taylor Antenna 176 December 25th 05 10:15 PM
SWR - wtf? john d CB 136 July 2nd 05 08:31 PM
SWR - wtf? Roy Lewallen Antenna 110 July 1st 05 05:30 AM
swr question Fred W4JLE Antenna 27 June 1st 05 01:45 AM
Antenna Suggestions and Lightning Protection § Dr. Artaud § Shortwave 71 April 26th 05 04:14 PM