RadioBanter

-   -   EH Antenna Revisited (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/1052-eh-antenna-revisited.html)

Walter Maxwell January 11th 04 11:29 PM

EH Antenna Revisited

Happy New Year to you, too, Rick.

To anyone who believes the W5QJR EH concept is valid.

I just now received a request from Rick Lutzinger, KD6ZR, asking for my opinion
on the validity of the EH concept W5QJR touts as his invention in his website at
www.eh-antenna.com.

I went back and reviewed the posts on this thread posted during the last week of
September 2003. Surprisingly, I didn't find anyone who disagreed with the
concept. All I found there were disgreements with the claims for gain and
realistic claims that this antenna could not even radiate as well as a
conventional antenna. With this I agree.

The following text contains my reply to Rick:

Hi Rick,

I didn't have the opportunity to refer to Hart's fiasco until day before
yesterday. He appears to still be in the business of publishing proofs of
his limited knowledge of antenna and transmission line principles.
Unfortunately, he appears to believe he's found something new in his 'EH'
concept. On the contrary, 'his' antenna still performs as a Hertz, and his
limited knowledge has misled him believe he has something different. So
let's examine the situation.

Let's begin with a traditional resonant 1/4 wave vertical antenna over
perfect ground fed with a 50-ohm coax matched to a source delivering all of
its available power--signifying a conjugate match. Now let's add some
inductive reactance between the coax and the antenna. There is no longer a
conjugate match, the current lags the voltage, the power factor is no longer
100%, and the delivery of power is reduced proportionately. If we continue
to increase the inductance until the current lags voltage by 90 degrees the
power factor is zero, because cos 90 = 0. In this case the only power
delivered by the source is that dissipated in the inherent loss of the
inductance. The reactive power contained in the inductance is reflected back
to the source resulting in a mismatch that prevents any further delivery of
power other than that required to supply the power dissipated in the loss
resistance of the inductance. In this condition no power will be delivered
to the antenna.

However, if a capacitor is inserted in series with the inductor having the
same but negative value of reactance as the inductor, we know that the total
reactance now is zero, the conjugate match is restored, and the power
delivery returns to normal.

On the other hand, Hart is applying the 90-degree phase lag to a very short
antenna, whose input impedance is capacitive. As the series inductance is
increased to where its reactance equals the negative reactance of the
antenna capacitance, we have the conventional loading and matching of an
antenna that is shorter than that of resonance.

Now if Hart is able to obtain an input to the antenna that approaches an
impedance match allowing power to be delivered into the antenna, the
capacitive reactance of his short antenna is simply compensating for the
series inductance he believes produces current that lags voltage by 90
degrees. Tain't so. He is simply feeding a traditionally matched short
Hertzian antenna. Further, voltage applied to Hart's 'EH' antenna results in
antenna current flowing in exactly the same manner as in any antenna, and
the E and H fields are formed and are related to each other in the same
chronological manner as in any antenna. The natural laws of electromagnetic
theory govern the field development and there is nothing anyone can do to
violate those laws developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 1800s--they have been
proven immutable for more than 120 years.

So how come the respondents rave about how terrific their 'EH' antennas
work? It's only because they fail to understand what is really
happening--there is no change in the chronological relationship between the E
and H fields, as Hart has misled them to believe, they are simply using a
shortened loaded antenna in the traditional manner.

Hope you find this of value, Rick

73, Walt

PS--Please note in the References section of Reflections that an asterisk
preceding a name indicates that that reference contains erroneous and
misleading information. Now take a peek at my Reference 100. The material in
that reference proves that that writer even then didn't didn't have a clue
concerning transmission line theory. Note also the date: March 1969--things
don't seem to change very much.

Walt Maxwell, W2DU

Walter Maxwell January 12th 04 09:20 PM

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 23:29:58 GMT, Walter Maxwell wrote:

[...]

I quote here an email response from Bill Ronay, KM4LS:

Subject: EH Antenna...
Date: Jan 11, 2004 7:19 PM
Dear Walter:

Just read your forwarded email regarding Ted Hart, W5QJR, his discoveries and
creations. Yours was a lengthy and, obviously, topically researched missive.

I might suggest you get in your automobile from down there near Stetson
University, drive North on US 441 and don't stop until you arrive at Ted's home
and workshop just north of Eatonton, Ga. also on US 441.

THEN, with all the knowledge and talent you have at your disposal, prove or
disprove your claims. He has an EH currently in AM broadcast mode. There are
also several ham versions available for your appraisal.

Regards,

Bill
KM4LS

W. R. "Bill" Ronay
2090 Shadow Lake Drive
Buckhead, GA 30625-2700

Walter Maxwell January 12th 04 09:23 PM

The following is my email reply to KM4LS:

Hello, Bill

Thanks for writing and for your concern regarding Ted's antenna concept.

Bill, I can only say how sorry I am that Ted has misconceived the principles of
electromagnetism in believing that the chronology of the formation of the E and
H fields as they develop along a transmission line or antenna can be changed by
the voltage-current relationship appearing at the input terminals of an antenna.
I know he and other amateurs are using antennas they believe are operating in
the mode Ted calls EH, but it is up to Ted to prove that what he claims is so.

I'm sorry, but there is no way he can prove a concept that violates
electromagnetic theory that has been proved true empirically for more than a
century. Let him place voltage and current probes on a shortened resonant
antenna with the 90-degree phase lag inductance inserted and feed a dual trace
oscilloscope to see the relationship of the fields.

And another experiment. Have him adjust a 1/4 wl vertical over good ground to
resonance with no phase lag inductor in the circuit and then measure the power
delivered to the antenna. Then, without readjusting any transmitter tuning and
remeasure the power delivered. He will be amazed at the result.

If the 90-degree phase lag circuit will change the chronology of the formation
of the E and H fields in the shortened antennas, as Ted claims, then it will
also change the chronology of the fields in a full length resonant antenna. If
he can prove that the field chronology also changes in the full length antenna
I'll buy into his concept. The burden of proof is on Ted, not me. In my opinion,
the phase lag Ted introduces, which he believes changes the time relationship of
the fields, only compensates for the capacitive reactance in the shortened
antenna, making it resonant, without any change in time relationship in the
normal production of the E and H fields.

73,

Walt

Walter Maxwell January 12th 04 09:32 PM

Bill, KM4LS, forwarded my emial to him to Ted Hart, W5QJR. The following is
Ted's response to me:

Hi Walter,

Bill sent me your note. Good to hear your view point on the EH Antenna. Sorry
you have not moved your brain into this century. 100 Years ago man could not
fly. If you read out web site you will find that our AM Broadcast antenna out
performs a standard 1/4 wave AM Broadcast antenna. We also have commercial
applications. Further, by direct comparison the EH Antenna outperforms wire
antennas for Ham use.

I have proven the EH Antenna.

Best regards,

Ted

Jim Kelley January 12th 04 11:20 PM

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:

100 Years ago man could not fly.

And now he can?

:-)

More importantly, 100 years ago airplanes could not fly.

For a humorous read, goto:

http://www.eh-antenna.com/documents/...DEFINITION.pdf

73, jk

Yuri Blanarovich January 12th 04 11:31 PM

100 Years ago man could not fly.

And now he can? Using EH antenna as a broomstick?
Far out Dude!

Quickly get the patent, print marketing pamflets and sell it to developing
nations. (send me the royalties)

BUm

Jim Kelley January 13th 04 12:10 AM

Cecil Moore wrote:

Jim Kelley wrote:
Yuri Blanarovich wrote:

100 Years ago man could not fly.

And now he can?

More importantly, 100 years ago airplanes could not fly.

How far back in time do hot-air balloons go?

It isn't possible for balloons to go back in time. :-)

73, Jim AC6XG

Cecil Moore January 13th 04 12:22 AM

--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Richard Clark January 13th 04 12:26 AM

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 21:32:26 GMT, Walter Maxwell wrote:

I have proven the EH Antenna.

Best regards,

Ted

:-P

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Dave Platt January 13th 04 12:58 AM

In article , Jim Kelley wrote:

More importantly, 100 years ago airplanes could not fly.

How far back in time do hot-air balloons go?

It isn't possible for balloons to go back in time. :-)

That depends on whether you happen to have a very long, incredibly
massive cylinder, rotating at near-relativistic speeds, somewhere
downwind of your launch point.

Most of us don't - extreme tidal effects aren't one of the things
exempted by PRB-1.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Yuri Blanarovich January 13th 04 03:33 AM

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:

100 Years ago man could not fly.

And now he can?

More importantly, 100 years ago airplanes could not fly.

How far back in time do hot-air balloons go?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

We are talking here about man flying, like flapping his wings or hands. Heck I
still can't fly, or maybe I can fly, but the landing is problematic. Any idiot
can fly in the baloon or airplane or EH? broomstick.

Now what about woo-mans? I see them frequently flying through shopping centers
and with no wings.

The quote of the day from EH "description":
"The voltage and current applied to a Hertz antenna are in phase, therefore the
E and H fields are not in phase,
thus radiation does not occur until a great distance from the antenna."

Wasaaap in between? Unplowed fields?
Far out Dudes and Dudettes!

I fear what would happen if he added one of the W8JI "equal current" coils that
could stretch the current way out there and just keep adding fields EH?
Scaaary!

BUm

Mark Keith January 13th 04 09:53 AM

Walter Maxwell wrote in message . ..
Bill, KM4LS, forwarded my emial to him to Ted Hart, W5QJR. The following is
Ted's response to me:

Hi Walter,

Bill sent me your note. Good to hear your view point on the EH Antenna. Sorry
you have not moved your brain into this century.

Walter is over 100 years old? Maybe they didn't have U-haul trailers
to haul brain matter in 1904?

100 Years ago man could not
fly.

And 100 years later he still can't, unless he is on some kind of drug
that makes him think he is...

If you read out web site you will find that our AM Broadcast antenna
out
performs a standard 1/4 wave AM Broadcast antenna.

Boy howdy...
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...ch%26me ta%3D

Note the local response to this "proof"... Note the near unanimous
approval of this "proof"....Not.... :/

We also have commercial
applications. Further, by direct comparison the EH Antenna outperforms wire
antennas for Ham use.

Proof by misapplication of the product? Har...Har...Har...

I have proven the EH Antenna.

I have proven my old 1968 ford truck, but I have never been prone to
think it can fly to Dallas like a Southwest boeing 737-300. Sure, I
could strap a JATO rocket to it and probably become airborne, but the
thrust reversers "drum brakes", probably would be insufficient to stop
me from becoming a wet spot on the side of a Love field hanger upon
landing. I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night though...Would this
count as "proof" ??? MK

Tdonaly January 13th 04 06:09 PM

Mark wrote,

Walter Maxwell wrote in message
Bill, KM4LS, forwarded my emial to him to Ted Hart, W5QJR. The following is
Ted's response to me:

Hi Walter,

Bill sent me your note. Good to hear your view point on the EH Antenna.

Sorry
you have not moved your brain into this century.

Walter is over 100 years old? Maybe they didn't have U-haul trailers
to haul brain matter in 1904?

100 Years ago man could not
fly.

And 100 years later he still can't, unless he is on some kind of drug
that makes him think he is...

If you read out web site you will find that our AM Broadcast antenna
out
performs a standard 1/4 wave AM Broadcast antenna.

Boy howdy...

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...17plnv027cn5lo

0ibuadd6vieb1q4g1ajv%404ax.com&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%
3DISO-8859-1%26q%3Deh%2Bantenna%26btnG%3DGoogle%2BSearch%26me ta%3D

Note the local response to this "proof"... Note the near unanimous
approval of this "proof"....Not.... :/

We also have commercial
applications. Further, by direct comparison the EH Antenna outperforms wire
antennas for Ham use.

Proof by misapplication of the product? Har...Har...Har...

I have proven the EH Antenna.

I have proven my old 1968 ford truck, but I have never been prone to
think it can fly to Dallas like a Southwest boeing 737-300. Sure, I
could strap a JATO rocket to it and probably become airborne, but the
thrust reversers "drum brakes", probably would be insufficient to stop
me from becoming a wet spot on the side of a Love field hanger upon
landing. I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night though...Would this
count as "proof" ??? MK

This is an old story: someone comes up with what he thinks is some
way to do the impossible and becomes so fanatically attached to his
idea that he is willing to defend it to the death no matter how much proof
there is to the contrary (and try to make a buck off it,too). Very few people
take the EH antenna seriously any more. I'm surprised Walt even took the
trouble to argue with these fellows.

Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

Walter Maxwell January 13th 04 08:26 PM

Bill January 13th 04 09:52 PM

Sir:

Would not Mr. Hart's statements be considered "Hypothesis" not theory.
Your explanation is very lucid for this electronics technician.
Thank you!
But, why is the arena of antenna theory still theory and not "fact" or
"law" or whatever? A succinct explanation, if possible, would be
appreciated.

Regards
Bill Cook N4WC

W3JDR January 14th 04 12:01 AM

Walter,
You said:
"When power P is delivered to the
antenna and all of the power radiated is then integrated over the entire
hemisphere, the integrated power will equal power P exactly. Now, because
all of
the power delivered to the antenna is radiated, any increase in radiated
power
due to some change in the configuration of the antenna is impossible.
Therefore,
this constitutes proof that your claim of gain with the EH configuration is
invalid."

I disagree. I think all you've asserted is conservation of energy, not
whether or not the antenna has gain.

Joe
W3JDR

Zoran Brlecic January 14th 04 12:21 AM

Tdonaly wrote:

This is an old story: someone comes up with what he thinks is some
way to do the impossible and becomes so fanatically attached to his
idea that he is willing to defend it to the death no matter how much proof
there is to the contrary (and try to make a buck off it,too).

Yeah, religions *are* silly. At least he's not wasting the taxpayers'
money on the faith-based antennas.

WA7AA

--

Anti-spam measu look me up on qrz.com if you need to reply directly

Richard Clark January 14th 04 02:19 AM

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 00:01:54 GMT, "W3JDR" wrote:

because all of the power delivered to the antenna is radiated,
any increase in radiated power
due to some change in the configuration of the antenna is impossible.
Therefore, this constitutes proof that your claim of gain with the EH configuration is
invalid."

I disagree. I think all you've asserted is conservation of energy, not
whether or not the antenna has gain.

Hi Joe,

Walter has asserted that there is a constancy of power confirmed by
total integration. Any increase in radiation with the same applied
power is impossible by definition. One can observe a gain relative
between two antennas and this would require significant differences in
the two patterns. However, the data from the FCC methods of testing
prove there is no difference. Except, of course, by that due to the
nearby resonant structure which perturbs the EH field slightly (which,
when wholly integrated reveals the familiar low efficiency of the EH
relative to the nearby standard tower).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Walter Maxwell January 14th 04 04:19 AM

The following is Ted Hart's response to me:

Every one is entitled to their opinion - but accurate test data is irrefutable.

Comments to your comments are in your text below- - - -

Ted
Thank you for your response to my note to Bill.

Ted, I'm sorry to have rained on your parade, but I have not seen any proof that
your antenna outperforms any Hertzian antenna as you claim. As I read in the
'Article' appearing on your web site, you are claiming that when your 'EH' is at
1/4 wl above ground it has a 2.25 dB gain over a standard 1/4 wl vertical.

Ted: TRUE

I have reviewed very carefully the engineering document prepared by the
broadcast consulting firm of Graham Brock, Inc., who performed extensive field
strength measurements on your EH antenna at experimental WK4XVQ in Eatonton, GA,
operating on 1520 KHz. To summarize very briefly, their report first shows an
average of approximately 1.1 dB

Ted: (0.84) dB

less power radiated than the reference standard antenna. Second, it is noted
that the test antenna was atop a 90-foot tower.

Ted: The tower was 90 feet, the EH Antenna was below that.

The EH Antenna was at was coupled to the standard WKVQ tower during the
measurements, which is very likely the reason the azimuthal plot of your EH
antenna is scalloped rather than circular.

Ted: Pattern distortion was due to a power line

I'm sure you're aware that nearby objects that are resonant at the measurement
frequency will distort the readings and thus distort the resulting data. What
was done at the feedpoint of the WKVQ antenna to eliminate the possibility of
its becoming a part of the antenna system? Were the input terminals shorted?
Left open?

Ted: Open

Were any measurements made under both of these conditions to determine whether
the the WKVQ antenna was performing as a parasitic radiator?

From the measurements performed by the Graham Brock engineers the resulting data
shows evidence that rather than achieving gain over a standard antenna, the EH
antenna performs less well than the standard antenna.

Ted: Read the rest of the story - the center of the EH Antenna was at 0.1
wavelengths above gound - if it were raised to 1/4 wavlength then it would be
what I claim, 2.25 dB gain over a standard 1/4 wl vertical.

At this point I'd like to repeat what I stated earlier concerning the concept of
your EH antenna's performance resulting from changing the time relationship
between the E and H fields to increase the radiation. What I stated earlier is
that the development of the continuous alternating E and H fields cannot be
changed in any way--not by changing the phase of the source current, or by any
other means. The laws set forth by electromagnetic theory are immutable. And I
also repeat--the antenna you believe to be prforming in a new manner is simply a
shortened, inductively loaded Hertzian antenna performing in its conventional
manner.

Ted: You are wrong. If you were correct, the effective radiation resistance
would be a fraction of an ohm, not a much much higher resistance as indicated by
the measured bandwidth.

[...]

Ted: Again, you do not present a valid argument. What you say is true, but not
germain to the issue. Consider antenna pattern gain, not total radiated power -
- - The purpose of an AM Broadcast station is to provide maximum signal to the
listener on the ground and reduce skywave as much as possible.

You say you have three patents on the EH. In so doing you have accomplished what
many before you have accomplished--outwitting the patent examiner who lacked
sufficient knowledge of the subject to recognize an invalid concept in the
patent application, and granted the patent. You may not have been aware that
hundreds of patents have been declared invalid for this specific reason.

Ted: But one criteria is proof of performance - and I presented that to the
examiner.

I have no doubt that you honestly believe that your EH concept is correct and
valid, and that your antenna is performing within that concept. However, now
that you are made aware of the invalidity of the concept, and if you continue to
manufacture and sell your antenna as advertised to perform as you say it does,
then you must also come to believe you would be misleading the public. In this
litigious society don't be surprised if someday an attorney hands you a paper
claiming fraud. I would not like to see that happen.

Ted: No one can claim fraud if the antenna does what I say it does.

Finally, if you still choose to believe my comments are incorrect, then I would
suggest you consult with other RF engineers to obtain their expert opinion, many
of whom have far greater intellect on this subject than I.

Ted: I agree that you do not have a complete understanding of antennas.

You can find some eminently qualified engineers in the news group rraa
(rec.radio.amateur.antenna) by simply going to 'find' and inserting 'EH'.

Cordially,

Walt, W2DU

Ted: Please learn to read before you criticize - every thing I say about the EH
Antenna is valid.

Ted: Please do not respond - there is nothing you say that is valid and I do not
wish to waste my time trying to teach you something because you have such a
closed mind.

Ted

Walt here now:

It's past midnight now, but I'll have a short response to Ted's above comments
tomorrow.

Walt, W2DU

Richard Clark January 14th 04 04:33 AM

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 04:19:32 GMT, Walter Maxwell wrote:

Ted: You are wrong. If you were correct, the effective radiation resistance
would be a fraction of an ohm, not a much much higher resistance as indicated by
the measured bandwidth.

The "measured bandwidth" reveals the proximity of earth in series with
a small radiation resistance. Lower the eh to ground level and you
would have a multiband antenna? (Quick, print this on the side of the
box and double the price!)

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

W3JDR January 14th 04 11:01 AM

Richard:

"One can observe a gain relative
between two antennas and this would require significant differences in
the two patterns. "

I believe this is in line with what Ted says...the EH purportedly has
vertical adjustable pattern depending on the length to diameter ratio of the
cylinders.

"However, the data from the FCC methods of testing
prove there is no difference. "

Well, that's the way I interpreted the data too. However, I don't believe
this was a 3 dimensional measurement, was it?

Joe
W3JDR

Richard Harrison January 14th 04 05:17 PM

Walter Maxwell wrote:
"To anyone who believes the W5QJR EH conceptis valid."

OK. I read the first page: "Welcome to the Wonderful World of EH
Antennas". It said nothing of why I should be interested. Why convert an
existing broadcast antenna to EH?

FCC has a publication, "Rules of Good Engineering Practice for Standard
Broadcast Stations" which includes Mv/m at 1 mile on a radial over
perfect earth from a vertical antenna of various heights. It shows about
195 mV/m for a 1/4-wave grounded vertical.

This can be adjusted for any power or diistance from the sender:

E = Eo sq rt P/d

Eo = 195 mV/m for the 1/4-wave antenna at 1 mile

P = the actual radiated power

d = distance from antenna in miles

The mV/m at a mile assumes a perfect ground and a perfect antenna ground
system. FCC says 120 radials equally spaced and 1/2-wavelength long are
its standard. Efficiency typically exceeds 95%.

If the vertical radiator is higher (longer) than !/8-wavelength, the 150
mV/m at 1 mile, required minimum efficiency, can still be met with 120
radials on the earth that are only 1/4-wavelength long. The reduction in
efficiency is small.

Nobody has perfect ground unless he is at sea. For imperfect ground, the
FCC publishes "Ground Wave Propagation Curves" for various soil
conductivities.

In the FCC millivolt per meter numbers for vertical antennas of various
heights, the field strength only increases 5% in going from very short
to a full 1/4-wave height. This requires the near perfect ground. A
3/8-wave radiator only has a 15% advantage over a very short radiator.

If the radiator is a thin wire, bandwidth may be only + or - 1% of the
wire`s resonant frequency. Broadcast stations use towers of substantial
cross section as antennas. These provide several percent of bandwidth
and allow full audio range in the medium wave band.

A short antenna has low radiation resistance and high capacitive
reactance. This requires tuning out the large capacitive reactance
(small capacitance) with an equally large inductive reactance (large
reactor), and matching the very low drivepoint resistance of an
end-driven vertical to the higher impedance sending circuit. Resistance
involved in neutralizing reactance and matching the antenna to the
source is likely to be lossy for the too-short antenna. Walter has
already pointed this out.

Why would the EH antenna have interest?

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Richard Harrison January 14th 04 05:32 PM

Joe, W3JDR wrote:
"However, I don`t believe this was a 3 dimensional measurement, was it?"

Purpose of 3-D pattern checks would present high-angle radiation if it
exists as a possible source of night time interference. Primary service
only includes non-interfered ground wave coverage of a station.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Richard Clark January 14th 04 06:30 PM

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:01:47 GMT, "W3JDR" wrote:
Richard:

"One can observe a gain relative
between two antennas and this would require significant differences in
the two patterns. "

I believe this is in line with what Ted says...the EH purportedly has
vertical adjustable pattern depending on the length to diameter ratio of the
cylinders.

That can only be a function of physical size and wavelength, or of
physical distance between sources (emitters) in terms of wavelength.
Neither condition exists (the antenna is small, and is only one
source). Beam steering and beam focusing antennas exhibit BOTH of
these characteristics, the eh neither.

"However, the data from the FCC methods of testing
prove there is no difference. "

Well, that's the way I interpreted the data too. However, I don't believe
this was a 3 dimensional measurement, was it?

Hi Joe,

There is little point in speculating about radiation straight up. If
that is the only benefit to the antenna, it is certainly no benefit to
the listener (definition of a Dummy Load). Field tests prove the
listener enjoys no advantage from this speculative gain.

Simple fact of the matter is revealed at the test site. Are they
using an eh, or the standard quarterwave over standard radials? The
acid test of capitalist greed has eroded these fairy-tale claims.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Walter Maxwell January 14th 04 06:55 PM

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:17:24 -0600 (CST), (Richard
Harrison) wrote:

Walter Maxwell wrote:
"To anyone who believes the W5QJR EH conceptis valid."

Why would the EH antenna have interest?

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Richard, my point is that the EH antenna, as Ted Hart claims it, cannot exist.
He claims that by feeding the antenna with current lagging voltage by 90 degrees
it puts the E and H fields in time phase. This is impossible, totally violating
the principles of electromagnetic theory. Ted's claim shows misundstanding of
the theory of wave propagation.

Walt

Cecil Moore January 14th 04 07:09 PM

Walter Maxwell wrote:
Richard, my point is that the EH antenna, as Ted Hart claims it, cannot exist.
He claims that by feeding the antenna with current lagging voltage by 90 degrees
it puts the E and H fields in time phase. This is impossible, totally violating
the principles of electromagnetic theory. Ted's claim shows misundstanding of
the theory of wave propagation.

Well Walt, look at it this way. By claiming he puts the E and H fields in
phase, he forces the ExH power flow vector to be equal to zero. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Richard Clark January 14th 04 07:26 PM

(Richard Harrison) wrote:

OK. I read the first page: "Welcome to the Wonderful World of EH
Antennas". It said nothing of why I should be interested. Why convert an
existing broadcast antenna to EH?

FCC has a publication, "Rules of Good Engineering Practice for Standard
Broadcast Stations" which includes Mv/m at 1 mile on a radial over
perfect earth from a vertical antenna of various heights. It shows about
195 mV/m for a 1/4-wave grounded vertical.

Let's look at the Data 1 mile out, and compare to the standard antenna
at the same distance:

-3.5dB
-1.24dB
-2.84dB
-1.5dB
+0.66dB (in the direction of the nearby resonating tower)
-0.85dB

How about at the limit of the test @30KM:

-26.9dB
-27dB
-22.7dB
-34.8dB
-29dB @ 16KM (off the chart @30KM)
-32.4dB

This sucker's signal dives right into the ground like a plow.
Obviously the eh antenna suffers a misspelling, it should be POS.

[Art, are you taking notice of the performance of small vertical
dipoles for 160M?]

snip

Why would the EH antenna have interest?

Hi Richard,

Why indeed. This design is a tower mounted, air cooled resistor that
has the advantages of top loading guy wires and nearby resonating
structures (if such could be called advantageous).

If you want to crow about your eh/POS DX contacts 1 mile out, they
better be in the direction of that nearby standard quarterwave
antenna. More's the pity that those living beyond 10 miles may never
hear your fabulous DX report.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Richard Harrison January 14th 04 07:41 PM

Walter, W2DU wrote:
"This is impossible, totally violating the principles of electromagnetic
theory."

I agree. It violates first principles of electricity. Radiation is a
resistive load. Voltage across the load coincides exactly with current
through the load. Volts and amps are in-phase. Nothing can be done to
change that. There is no electrical energy storage in a resistance.

Once you tune for unity power factor and match for power transfer,
you`re done and no monkey business will change the radiator from its
natural function. You put a voltage across its drivepoint and it does
its thing independent of how the voltage got there if the source can
supply the antenna`s demand.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Richard Harrison January 14th 04 08:05 PM

Richard Clark wrote:
"If you want to crow about your EH/POS DX contacts 1 mile out, they
better be in the direction of that nearby standard quarterwave antenna."

All that needs to be done to take the standard quarterwave antenna out
of the picture is to open-circuit the vertical to ground. That makes it
resonant at about 2X the frequency where it is a 1/2-wave at resonance
and capable of absorbing energy which it reradiates as a parasitic
element. This may not be so good for the 2nd harmonic in some direction.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Cecil Moore January 14th 04 08:44 PM

w4jle wrote:
And I almost had my Fractal, EH, CFA completed. Are you saying my dream of a
24 inch 5dBd gain 75 meter antenna has been shattered?

Not entirely, I can show you how to get a 22 dBi omnidirectional
radiation pattern with a folded antenna (according to EZNEC. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Walter Maxwell January 14th 04 09:08 PM

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:26:23 GMT, Richard Clark wrote:

This sucker's signal dives right into the ground like a plow.
Obviously the eh antenna suffers a misspelling, it should be POS.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Richard, does POS mean positive, or is it what gets stuffed into the hole plowed
by the signal?

Walter Maxwell January 14th 04 09:16 PM

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Well Walt, look at it this way. By claiming he puts the E and H fields in
phase, he forces the ExH power flow vector to be equal to zero. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Yeah, Cecil, that's what I thought, too, but not according to Ted. He puts his
antenna up at 1/4 wl above ground and gets 2.25 dB gain over a standard 1/4 wl
vertical. What am I missing here? Perhaps we just haven't yet found Ted's secret
for squeezing the E and H fields to rest on top of each other instead of in
sequence.

Walt

Cecil Moore January 14th 04 09:28 PM

Walter Maxwell wrote:

"Cecil Moore" wrote:
Well Walt, look at it this way. By claiming he puts the E and H fields in
phase, he forces the ExH power flow vector to be equal to zero. :-)

Yeah, Cecil, that's what I thought, too, but not according to Ted. He puts his
antenna up at 1/4 wl above ground and gets 2.25 dB gain over a standard 1/4 wl
vertical. What am I missing here?

The only possible conclusion is that he doesn't put the E and H
fields in phase. Could it be that there is another dimension, in
which the EH antenna operates, which allows ExH to be greater
than E*H[sin(90ยบ)]? - that's 90 degrees for you incompatible nerds. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Gene Fuller January 14th 04 10:14 PM

Hi Walt,

What you are "missing" is that the EH antenna can be made from scraps of PVC
pipe and used aluminum foil. Don't need no stinkin' steel towers. (Except as
"support" of course.)

Don't worry about whether it works or not; it is a great recycling project.

8-)

73,
Gene
W4SZ

Dave Shrader January 15th 04 12:17 AM

Walter Maxwell wrote:

SNIP

Richard, does POS mean positive, or is it what gets stuffed into the hole plowed
by the signal?

I think it's related to fertilizer!

Walter Maxwell January 15th 04 12:49 AM

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 00:17:53 GMT, Dave Shrader
wrote:

Walter Maxwell wrote:

SNIP

Richard, does POS mean positive, or is it what gets stuffed into the hole plowed
by the signal?

I think it's related to fertilizer!

Dave, I think it means pile o something or other, can't think of what it is
right now.

Walt

Walter Maxwell January 15th 04 01:24 AM

Hello Ted,

The following is a copy of my last msg to Ted, sent much earlier today. I have
not yet received a reply.

Ted,

While I respect your wish to not respond, I have no other choice but to respond,
because I'm trying to help you here with respect to legal problems you may
encounter down the road if you insist on telling prospective buyers that your
antenna outperforms conventional antennas due to a modified relationship between
the E and H fields. Sometime in the future the truth will come out that the EH
relationship you claim is invalid, destroying your credibility. This is what I
don't want to happen.

You stated that no one can claim fraud if the antenna does what you say it does.
But Ted, the problem is that it doesn't.

I pointed out that hundreds of patents have been declared invalid in the courts
because the concepts they portrayed were found later to be invalid. In these
cases the patent examiners simply did not recognize the invalidity of the
subject when they granted the patents.

You said you presented proof of performance to the examiner. That you did, and
the engineering report you submitted was very well done. The procedure your
consulting firm used is exactly the same as what I used when I was in that
business years ago.

But Ted, your proof of performance proved only that the antenna radiated as
indicated by the measured data--it did NOT prove that the antenna was performing
with the in-phase E and H field relationship that you claim. And that is the
problem. Your statement that everything you say about the EH antenna is valid is
easily proven wrong, as I have already done in my previous email.

In your reply to my email you said the pattern distortion was due to to a power
line. I must remind you that the radiation from your antenna is vertically
polarized, while the wires of the power line are horizontal. With the quadrature
relationship between the antenna and the power line how can there be sufficient
coupling between them to distort the pattern of the vertically polarized field
radiated from the antenna?

That being said, Ted, I will bother you no longer, but I sincerely hope you'll
reconsider my comments, and cease claiming that the E and H fields are rendered
in phase by the lagging current in the power delivered to the antenna.

73,

Walt, W2DU

Richard Harrison January 15th 04 03:54 AM

Walter, W2DU wrote:
"Sometime in the future the truth will come out that the EH relationship
you claim, is invalid, destroying your credibility."

Yea, verily! Ever since the command: "Let there be light." was issued,
it has been so. This was many eons before James Clerk Maxwell figured it
all out in the 19th century. Electrical energy that has escaped into
free space exists in the form of electromagnetic waves

Some of the waves we detect have been traveling toward us for billions
of years. Some of tese electromagnetic waves are called radio waves.
They travel with the velocity of light and consist of magnetic and
electric fields that are at right angles to each other and also at right
angles to the direction of travel.

Thank you Dr. F.E. Terman for your well chosen words mixed in with those
above. You can do a right-hand rule maneuver while extending one finger
to illustrate the field directions involved in a radio wave. Terman
gives a better idea with diagrams on page 1 of "Electronic and Radio
Engineering".

The electric and magnetic fields actually generate each other. It was
James Clerk Maxwell who speculated that displacement current (the
dielectric force that moves electrical charges in a capacitor),
generates magnetic flux lines, the same as current in a conductor does.
Subsequently, Maxwell`s point was proved. Out in the near vacuum of the
cosmos, there are few examples of electric current as there are very few
electrons.. Yet radio propagates very well. Maxwell came up with the
secret of propagation of radio and its ilk. A dynamic magnetic field
generates a dynamic electric field, which generates a dynamic magnetic
field and so on ad infinitum.
The same energy is swapped back and forth between fields. That produces
an equal division of energy between the two fields, electric and
magnetic.

Whatever anyone does to launch a radio wave, the secret of propagation
is revealed above and this nature of propagation is likely immutable and
remains unchanged since creation. Nature doesn`t seem to be creating
various new prototypes for a contest for survival of the best adapted
radio wave model. Biological types evolve but it seems it is only our
understanding of physics which evolves.

An EH antenna will have to prove to be better as a transformer to couple
radio sets to free space than the time tested models which occupy a
fraction of a wavelength and can be better than 95% efficient.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Cecil Moore January 15th 04 05:36 AM

Richard Harrison wrote:
An EH antenna will have to prove to be better as a transformer to couple
radio sets to free space than the time tested models which occupy a
fraction of a wavelength and can be better than 95% efficient.

Even if an antenna was invented that yielded 100% efficiency instead
of 95% efficiency, what difference would it make? 3% of an S-unit?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp